Workgroup or Server

Hello,

Sorry for the double post.

I'm curently using version 4.3 on mac. We need to upgrade to 5 so we can back up our machines running 10. I'm not sure which version I need though, Workgroup or Server?

We have 18 machines. Some on 9, some 10.

On the website it states that Workgroup provides complete protection for data on one server, and a network of up to 20 desktops, and notebooks. What constitutes as a server? An external web/fileserver only? an internal email server? an in-house file server? A machine running file-sharing? an in-house intranet server running apache? Many machines can be servers and user machines at the same time.

We have one machine running 9 that just hosts FileMaker databases. We would like to upgrade it to OS X soon. We also have one machine that does email/intranet with apache/webstats analyser. In order to back these up will I need to get Retrospect Server? With Can anybody help me clarify this? Yeah I've tried calling Dantz but I got stuck on hold.

Nate

confused.gif

Quote:

Server is only required if you want to backup addtional servers. I use workgroup to handle most of our 10-20 client based networks.

Yeah that's why it is confusing. The definition of server is extremely vague. Since I'm not sure what exactly constitutes a server, I'm not sure how many I have, therefore I'm not sure what version to get. If we have a FileMaker server and a normal OS X desktop running Apache and CommuniGate Pro (email server), is that 1, 2, or 3 servers? Or none? I'll try calling them again.

Archived