Why has my network performance slowed down?

I'm using a Mac running OS 9.1 and the current version of Retrospect 5. It acts as a backup server and backs up my powerbook G3 500 running OS 10.2.5. The powerbook connects to the network through an airport card via the an airport base station. The server computer (a PowerCenter 150) is connect to the network through a standard ethernet cable and small hub(10BT).

The server backs up using Backup Server to file on a 100GB 7200rpm drive installed internally. I used to get about 20MB/sec but now I only average 3-4MB/sec. I have not changed any of the hardware on the server or the powerbook. The only changes have been updates to OS 10 on the powerbook (now at OS 10.2.6). What's causing the slowdown? I can't figure it out. All retrospect software both on server and client has the current updates.

TIA

Chris

Quote:

Is this the only client experiencing the slow behavior? Do you have other clients backing up at expected speeds?

Was the client running an older version of OS X before the update, or was it running OS 9?

Yes, this is the only client experiencing the slowdown ( I only have two clients active). The client was running OS 10.2.5 before the update. I have since updated to 10.2.6. Backup performance was slow before and after the update. It has just seemed to have slowed down all of a sudden. Used to get 20MB/min backups to a file on server, now I only get 4-5MB/min.

Chris

I have new info. Initially I thought the slowdown was just on my PowerBook client running OS X, however I have noticed an even slower backup speed on my wifes iBook SE running OS 9 (the other client).

So, I decided to reinstall OS 9.1 and Retrospect on my server into a new system folder and new copy of Retrospect (I kept the old ones). I re-setup my backup server script and launched it. My backup is now getting an average of 20MB/min. This is what I used to get on my network with AirPort and 10BaseT. Must be something in the old system folder that is causing the slowdown. I think what I'm going to do is have two system folders. One devoted exclusively to Retrospect Backups and the other for all my other stuff.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Chris

Archived