Backup stalls if a CD is in the drive??

Last night, I left a CD in my superdrive. This morning, Retrospect is sitting there waiting for me to click OK in an error box that says something like "Can not use this media for backup yada yada".

Well I don't use CDs for backup, I never have, and I have "Stop on errors" unchecked, so why is Retrospect stopping an entire backup because of a CD in the drive?

Thanks,

Paul

PS: version 5.0.238

If the drive is a supported CD burner, Retrospect may try to load drivers on launch. When this operation is unsuccessful (because the OS or another application is loading drivers in order to access the CD in the drive), you'll see a Retrospect dialog box which requires user intervention.

Having a CD in the drive should not prevent automatted execution when writing to other devices. We are aware of the issue, and are working on a resolution.

• 2 weeks later...

If another program has the CDROM open (iTunes for example), when Retrospect 5.0.238 attempts to start a backup (even backup server), a dialog is displayed telling me that the CD/DVD is in use by another program (DUH!!) and clicking OKAY doesn't do anything. Retrospect is effectively frozen. The only way out is Force Quit. This means that I can not use Retrospect and iTunes at the same time. BUMMER!

Hi

Yes, this is a pain in the behind. I've been meaning to ask someone for some time now about it.

Why oh why can't I use my Superdrive at the same time as using Retrospect? When Retrospect is backing up to a Tape Drive over firewire. Surely a simple prefs panel somewhere, where it would be possible to choose which device is to be used for backup purposes would solve this issue. When doing a complete backup of my system, which has around 200Gb of data onto an Onstream Echo fw30 drive, not only does the backup take forever, that's OK, I can bear that, BUT, I am unable to use my CD/DVD drive for about 3 days, because Retrospect won't let me! Arrrgggghhhhh.

Please try and sort this out ASAP.

PS Would buying a second separate CD drive for a Mac G4 (mirror door) 1.25Ghz Dual, solve this problem? i.e. if the drive was not a burner, just a play version, Retrospect would not see it (I presume) so I could use it to play CD's at least? Would this work, for the time being?

Thanks Paul

When Retrospect launches we load a device driver for the different devices on your computer. Under Mac OS 9 we had an "ignore ID" option. Under Mac OS X that option does not function due to the way Mac OS X handles device identification and communication. We would like to be able to "ignore" a device and we are working with Apple to identify the best approach. For now, it just isn't possible for us to do this.

Thankyou for the prompt answer, however, could you possibly answer the PS - as this would at least help the situation?

PS Would buying a second separate CD drive for a Mac G4 (mirror door) 1.25Ghz Dual, solve this problem? i.e. if the drive was not a burner, just a play version, Retrospect would not see it (I presume) so I could use it to play CD's at least? Would this work, for the time being?

Thanks Paul

Yes, that would work -- Retrospect will only try to load a driver for backup devices it recognizes. If iTunes or another application were to be accessing a non-writing CD drive Retrospect wouldn't care, or even be aware of it.

Quote:

Last night, I left a CD in my superdrive. This morning, Retrospect is sitting there waiting for me to click OK in an error box that says something like "Can not use this media for backup yada yada".

Well I don't use CDs for backup, I never have, and I have "Stop on errors" unchecked, so why is Retrospect stopping an entire backup because of a CD in the drive?

With the next release of Retrospect (5.1), the modal dialog box that you are describing here will no longer be displayed during unattended backups (i.e. when Retro is performing a scripted backup).

Thanks,

PJ

I have another suggestion to add. When Retrospect server is running, it knows which backup sets it can use. In my case, all scripts use only tapes. Since by Retrospect's own rules you cannot mix CD-R and tapes in a single backup set, it should be able to figure out that it has no use for the CD writer while the server is running and deallocate the drive.

Archived