Help Menu Retrospect Help

Just installed Retrospect 5.0 on a new Mac running OS X (and OS 9 for classic on same partition).

When I go to the Help menu and select Retrospect Help, it launches Classic and Netscape.

I don't use Netscape and would prefer not to and would prefer not using Classic for this.

I can't find any information on "Retrospect Help."

Would appreciate knowing if this is normal for 5.0 to use Classic for Retrospect Help? To use Netscape? And can I change browsers whether in Classic or OS X?

Thanks.

This is totally controlled by how the Mac OS opens files of specific types.

You may need to "show package contents" on the Retrospect application. Locate the Main.html document inside the package and change the "open with" option in the get info window.

Original poster here.

You lost me.

Where do I find: "show package contents"? I don't know what that means or where it is. Sorry.

Appreciate the help.

I'll also go on a search for helpers in Mac OS. Maybe there is something there that gives a clue.

It just seems strange that in a OS program Help opens a OS 9 browser app. But I'm no expert.....

Thanks.

Quote:

It just seems strange that in a OS (X) program Help opens a OS 9 browser app

But that's not what's happening here.

Retrospect is opening a document, and your operating system is opening the application.

The document that Retrospect is opening can be located this way:

- Control+Click+Hold on the Retrospect application icon

- From the contextual menu that pops up, select "Show Package Contents"

- In the new window that opens up, double click on the "Contents" folder, then "MacOS, and finally the "Retrospect Help" folder.

- Inside this folder you'll see the document "Retrospect Help.html"

- Now, just for fun, double click this document. I would guess that your Macintosh will attempt to open it in your Classic Navagator.

- Click once on this document to select it, then choose "Get Info" from the File menu.

- Reveal the "Open with" triangle and modify the settings the way you'd like.

Dave

Quote:

Quote:

It just seems strange that in a OS (X) program Help opens a OS 9 browser app

But that's not what's happening here.

Retrospect is opening a document, and your operating system is opening the application.

The document that Retrospect is opening can be located this way:

- Control+Click+Hold on the Retrospect application icon

- From the contextual menu that pops up, select "Show Package Contents"

- In the new window that opens up, double click on the "Contents" folder, then "MacOS, and finally the "Retrospect Help" folder.

- Inside this folder you'll see the document "Retrospect Help.html"

- Now, just for fun, double click this document. I would guess that your Macintosh will attempt to open it in your Classic Navagator.

- Click once on this document to select it, then choose "Get Info" from the File menu.

- Reveal the "Open with" triangle and modify the settings the way you'd like.

Dave

Thanks very much. Works.

Not sure why Retrospect would set it up to open a Classic app but maybe it is the way OS X interacts with the Dantz installer. Why am I guessing, I don't know how any of that works.

A question: it gave me the option to use IE (OS X) version which I changed to "for all similar" files or something like that. Any problems answering "yes" ?

Thanks again.

Quote:

Not sure why Retrospect would set it up to open a Classic app but maybe it is the way OS X interacts with the Dantz installer. Why am I guessing, I don't know how any of that works.

What's important to know is that the Dantz installer (actually the installer is written by Vise; the Dantz stuff is just options within the Vise product) had nothing to do with this; how OS X assoicates documents with default applications has absolutely nothing to do with Retrospect.

Mac OS X uses its "Launch Services" to keep track of documents and what applications will open them. The preference for your browser can be set in the Network Preference Pane, in the "Web" tab. When you make changes there those settings are written to the file:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist

You can open this file with any text editor, such as TextEdit, and you'll see entries for "LSBundleIdentifier" that call the program you set in the Preferences.

Any program can write to these .plist files. That makes OS X very open (you don't have to use Apple's utilities to customize and configure OS X). But the Retrospect installer does not modify your LaunchServices.plist file.

>>A question: it gave me the option to use IE (OS X) version which I changed

>>to "for all similar" files or something like that. Any problems answering "yes" ?

Nope; doing so just modifies your preference file.

Dave

Thanks very much. Very helpful. Corrected "problem" and learned about "show packages".

Quote:

What's important to know is that the Dantz installer (actually the installer is written by Vise; the Dantz stuff is just options within the Vise product) had nothing to do with this; how OS X assoicates documents with default applications has absolutely nothing to do with Retrospect.

Mac OS X uses its "Launch Services" to keep track of documents and what applications will open them. The preference for your browser can be set in the Network Preference Pane, in the "Web" tab. When you make changes there those settings are written to the file:

I checked those preferences and they are set "correctly" to IE in OS X. So still stumped by why the Retrospect Help files got related to Netscape in OS 9. Still curious, and still not a computer expert.

Appreciate all the help and education. Thanks.

Quote:

Thanks very much. Very helpful. Corrected "problem" and learned about "show packages".

Quote:

I checked those preferences and they are set "correctly" to IE in OS X. So still stumped by why the Retrospect Help files got related to Netscape in OS 9. Still curious, and still not a computer expert.

Appreciate all the help and education. Thanks.

Perhaps I have myself to blame.

I install apps on a separate partition from OS X. Did so in OS 8.6 and given I'm a very new Mac OS X user, I'm doing the same in OS X.

I booted in OS X, but I did not have the Retrospect installer install on the OS X (and Classic partition), I had it install the Retrospect application on another partition where I will keep all apps except those installed by the Powerbook DVD or updates or if required.

I have only launched Retrospect 5.0 not set up and run it yet but all appears well. Hope so.

At any rate, maybe this install method caused those Retrospect files to be related (open with) a non OS X browser.

Again, thanks for helping me learn. Old rookie is slow at this.

Quote:

Quote:

I checked those preferences and they are set "correctly" to IE in OS X

That's because you re-set the preferences when you selected "change for all similar files" as outlined in your earlier post.

You are the expert, not me, but I'm pretty sure I set those preferences well before installing Retrospect.

I guess not important. Just trying to understand. I did notice in the package contents that you directed me to that there were many similar files that all had the Netscape logo.

BTW, is there any problem with my install procedure (the Retropsect app on another partition).

I appreciate all this help.

Archived