Recycle function not working

remarch

I have a series of scripts setup to do our nightly backups. All of them are set to perform a recycle backup, which, if I understand, is supposed to erase the tape before performing the backup. Well, every time I try to use this function, I come in the next morning to find that the backup has not even started. I will start with either erased or properly titled media, and it will suddenly not accept the media (content unrecognized). This throws a real monkey wrench in the works of trying to run an unattended backup.

Does anyone have any insight? Any and all advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob Monigle

Gardner Plus Architects

Recycle backups will write to any blank or erased tape, or any tape with the name "1-[Your Backup Set Name]." It cannot just overwrite what ever tape is in the drive.

If it is saying "content unrecognized" that means that there is data on that tape that Retrospect doesn't recognize. Try erasing the tape from within Retrospect.

If you still get the content unrecognized message, then it sounds like the tape drive is having problems reporting the name or the status of the tape correctlt. Try some of the troubleshooting steps listed in the Knowledgebase for that error.

Archived