Backing Up Windows 2000 Server as client?

I'm trying to back up a Windows 2000 Server (SP3) computer via Retrospect Client from a Mac OS X 10.2.5 machine running Retrospect Workgroup 5. Most of the backup works fine, except for a few files. In the log, I constantly see the following:

Can't read file ?qmgr0.dat?, error -49 (file busy), path: ?C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat?.

Can't read file ?qmgr1.dat?, error -49 (file busy), path: ?C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat?.

Can't read file ?Perflib_Perfdata_49c.dat?, error -49 (file busy), path: ?C:\WINNT\system32\Perflib_Perfdata_49c.dat?.

It was my understanding that the Retrospect client contains an open file agent allowing Retro Workgroup to back up files that are open and in use. What do I need to do in order to get this working?

Thanks

Marc Hoffman

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

It was my understanding that the Retrospect client contains an open file agent allowing Retro Workgroup to back up files that are open and in use.

That is incorrect. It does not.

>>Dantz...

>>

>>Can I have an answer on this??

This is not an official support channel for Dantz, although they _do_ seem to answer a lot of questions (have you _seen_ the post count for AmyC? Amazing!). The idea is for users to help users.

I hope that helps. grin.gif

Dave

Quote:

Quote:

It was my understanding that the Retrospect client contains an open file agent allowing Retro Workgroup to back up files that are open and in use.

That is incorrect. It does not.

Dave

From the Retrospect 6.0 Client Readme File :

"Open File Backup

Retrospect's Open File Backup capability does not work with Windows client software versions prior to 6.0. To use Open File Backup, update Windows clients to the latest version with the Retrospect client update file, then restart the client computers."

This tells me that version 6.0 of the client has open file backup capability.

Quote:

"Open File Backup

Retrospect's Open File Backup capability does not work with Windows client software versions prior to 6.0. To use Open File Backup, update Windows clients to the latest version with the Retrospect client update file, then restart the client computers."

Yes - the 6.0 client has open file backup capability. However, this is only relevant when using Retrospect for Windows Multi-Server or Single-Server along with the Open File Backup add-on.

Quote:

Quote:

"Open File Backup

Yes - the 6.0 client has open file backup capability. However, this is only relevant when using Retrospect for Windows Multi-Server or Single-Server along with the
Open File Backup
add-on.

So what's the point of backing up using a Mac OS X based Retro Server? There's no way that I'm going to be able to convince our GM to purchase *another* copy of Retrospect to back up a server (especially when I was told BY DANTZ that the retro client would allow us to back up a Windows server via a Mac Retro server).

And guess what??? The documentation for Mac OS X Retro Workgroup Server says *NOTHING* about this. It maintains that I can back up and restore Windows Retro clients as easily as Mac Retro clients.

Also, we are backing up another Windows machine (Windows NT 4 SP6 Workstation) from the Mac Retro server via the Retro client with *no* problems. As a matter of fact, we have been able to restore it from a retro backup set. So, there is some kind of open file capability here for Windows clients.

I really NEED some answers on this. I went out a limb telling our GM that the solution we have in place right now will work. I feel that I was *VERY* missled by Dantz...

Retrospect for Macintosh can backup Windows Workstations as well as data from Windows servers, but Retrospect for Macintosh can NOT:

1) Backup most open windows files

2) Backup NTFS permissions on Windows

3) Backup Windows NT or 2000 Server registry correctly

4) Services for Macintosh via the client software

I was able to find the following in our Knowlegebase which may be helpful:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27205

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=26467

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=26518

Retrospect for Windows will correctly handle all versions of Windows as well as Macintrosh clients.

Quote:

And guess what??? The documentation for Mac OS X Retro Workgroup Server says *NOTHING* about this. It maintains that I can back up and restore Windows Retro clients as easily as Mac Retro clients.

I'm sorry that the documentation was unclear for you. Here are the references I found. Please post links to any contradictory information on our website so that it can be reviewed for accuracy.

The Macintosh Product Matrix lists the following, and does not refer to servers:

http://www.dantz.com/products/maccompare.html

Backs up Mac and Windows desktops and workstations as clients.

The online system requirements page for Macintosh 5.0 Workgroup:

http://www.dantz.com/products/mac_workgroup/requirements.html

• Windows 95/98/Me/NT Workstation/2000 Professional/XP Home Edition/XP Professional

• Retrospect Server Backup for Windows is required for backup of NT or 2000 Server clients

The System Requirements panel on the boxed product:

Windows Client Requirements

Windows 95/98/Me/NT 4.0 Workstation/2000 Professional/XP Home Edition/XP Professional

Retrospect Server Backup for Windows is required for backup of NT or 2000 Server clients.

The 5.0 User's Guide lists the following requirements for Windows Client computers (Network Backup / Chapter 6 / Page 85):

Computer running under either Window 95/98/Me, Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional.

Archived