How to exclude directories from backup

maxinegerb

I'm using Retrospect Pro 6.0.206 for Windows. I want to have a script which backs up my entire C drive EXCEPT for a couple of specified directories. I've created a selector and tried various combinations of include and exclude using Universal file name or Windows path name, but none seem to do exactly what I want. I know that this shouldn't be that hard, but I can't seem to get it right. Please advise.

Thanks,

Maxine

Add one criteria at a time, using the check selector button between additions of conditions.

Use "or" not "and" in most cases

If you browse the disk (configure>volumes) and get properties on the folder you want to exclude, you will see the exact path in the exact format Retrospect requires for that item.

Thanks. I finally got a version of my selector which seemed right. I used the check selector feature (which I hadn't known about before - thanks) and it appeared that the correct items were selected. When I ran a backup, however, SOME of the files in the folders to be excluded were backed up which I could verify by restoring those files. How can that be? I guess it's not really a problem, since I was just trying to reduce the size of my backups and I seem to have accomplished that, but I wish I understood what was really happening.

-Maxine

Archived