Boot Problem after Full Restore

I recently did a full restore of a Terminal Server - that was physically attached to the tape drive when it was backed up.

When I got done with the restore (full restore), which went really smoothly, I was told to reboot, which I did. When it started loading Windows (Windows 2000 Server w/ SP3), it started loading it & then errored out, stating it could not find the boot partition - I imagine that there is an easy solution to this - just not sure what it is. Can anyone help? I tried reinstalling Windows back over top of it - same error; I also tried using the recovery console (chkdsk/r); all to no avail. I imagine I needed to edit the boot.ini file - but why? All original partitions were put back in the way before the restore.

FYI - this was a TEST disaster recovery - I actually have loaded Windows 2003 Server in place of this - it is just disconcerting that the full restore did not work...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Rich Logan

IS Manager

Stokes Lawrence, P.S.

(206) 892-2154

Quote:

I tried reinstalling Windows back over top of it - same error

I would suspect that if a Windows install fails, then a complete DR with Retrospect will also fail. The reason? I don't know for sure. We have seen changes in hardware (including invisible partitions) cause trouble for users, but a new system install usually does not have an issue.

This *is* indeed a Dell PowerEdge 4400 - but while it didn't have the Dell partition described - it does offer a suggestion that probably would have fixed it anyway - so will keep it in mind in the future as I may be rebuilding it again in a couple of months...good time to test this then.

Rich

• 2 months later...

I have again tried to restore a different Dell server (a PowerEdge 2300), with the same problem I experienced with the Dell PowerEdge 4400 - the restore seems to go fine - but when I reboot - I get the BSD - and the system will not boot up. Anyone else experience this? A manual check of the boot.ini file doesn't find any problems...

Thanks!

Were there any physical hardware changes between the time of backup and the restore?

Are these IDE or SCSI drives? Do you have a RAID or any non-standard hardware? What kind of devices are attached?

What was the error message referenced in the BSOD?

Archived