After Daylight Savings Time--All file copied

After the Daylight Savings Time change backups of a Windows XP client, while running Retrospect on a Mac OS X machine, includes all files whether or not they have been changed. I've read the KB article 26685, and have synchronized the clocks of the machines, but the situation still exists. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

I understand that the time translation cannot be reversed on a particular backup set, but I was hoping to avoid having the same problem affect other backup sets. After the first backup set copied all files, I checked the KB and this forum, and synchonized the clocks (actually they were already within 1 second). The second backup set still copied all files. If possible, I would like avoid wasting media on the other 3 backup sets in the rotation.

If your hard disk is formatted as NTFS -- you'll see this date change every six months.

Having read up on why MS's NTFS does this, I "get it". I just don't "like it".

We format all our Windows machines as FAT32 whenever possible because of this.

This is something I've complained about, too. The knowledge base article didn't apply, since I'm only backing up locally, i.e. not on a network. Hence, there's no time difference between client and server, since there's only one machine.

I guess I have to say it again: Since HFS+ uses GMT (or UT) for file time stamps, shouldn't Retrospect be able to take into account the change of timezone (or start of summer time) when comparing file modification times? Or is the GMT time and current timezone not available to Retrospect?

Archived