Intermittent slow scan of folders and files

Using Retrospect 5.0.236 (or at least, that's what the Get Info window says - I suspect it's a newer version) on Mac OS X 10.2.4, I get inconsistent performance in the scanning phase. It is never at the same point, and varies at different points of the same scan. Normally, it scans at several hundred files per second, but periodically it slows down to around 50 files per second. It happens on all the folders I back up, including my home folder, the local Applications folder, the Applications (Mac OS 9) and the System Folder.

Is this a known problem? Does anyone know why it happens? Can I do anything about it?

John

Quote:

Using Retrospect 5.0.236 (or at least, that's what the Get Info window says - I suspect it's a newer version)

Why do you suspect it's a different version than what's shown in the Finder's Get Info window?

When you run the program and select "About Retrospect" from the Retrospect menu, what does it show as the version?

When you launch the program, what version does the Operations Log show?

Dave

I can understand that scanning is memory-intensive. However, I always quit most active programs. I would usually only have Path Finder, Suitcase, Default Folder X, PopChar X and DragThing running, all hidden. Are any of these known to grab memory and/or processor time while idle?

As to my version, I thought that I had updated using the retrospect_50238_desktop_en.sit updater. However, the log file also shows 5.0.236, so I'm not sure. The modification date on the application is 20 November 2002, a later date than the modification date of the updater.

You're right, it was still 5.0.236. I ran the installer again, and it didn't update the application. I had to manually throw the old version into the trash and run it again to get the 5.0.238 version. I haven't checked yet whether the scan problem surfaces in the updated version.

Archived