Uncheck Ignore Privileges

When backing up a volume (in this case a Virtual PC Drive) with Retrospect 5 I get the warning that ignore privileges is enabled and I should uncheck the box under privileges under get info. Presumably the instructions relate to how OSX was configured pre Jaguar (I have 10.2.4) and the details have changed.

I must be missing something obvious since I don't see this addressed when I search the forum or knowledge base so would someone please advise on how to disable ignore privileges. TIA

When backing up a volume (in this case a Virtual PC Drive)

Is this your VirtualPC disk image file that has been mounted on the Desktop?

If so, don't try and back it up as a mounted volume. Instead allow Retrospect to backup the single disk image file that contains all that data. It will be faster and more reliable.

Dave

Thanks, but I don't see any checkboxes under Ownership and Permissions; just drop-downs to set the owner (and acesss) [this can be locked]; Group (and access) and Acess for others; and an apply to enclosed items button.

I was under the impression that this changed with 10.2 but never used earlier versions so I am undertain. But if others have an ignore privileges check-box then I missing something.

Hey CallMeDave,

Yes this is a Virtual PC disk image. I read somewhere, perhaps on the Connectix web site, that mounting the image on the desk-top was the preferred method for backing up. I would expect that this would allow for discriminating between individual files rather than point-in-time state. But I confess, I'm a bit green with both OSX and VPC so I'm receptive to advice. Any elaboration on the more reliability of the single disk image backup?

Roger that. Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll stick to the method suggested.

Not as critical now but I'l still curious about the uncheck ignore privileges checkbox; I don't see it even for the Macintosh HD.

Macintosh HD wouldn't have it because it (presumably) is your boot disk, and you can't ignore priviledges there. If you had another physical partition (as opposed to a virtual disk) you would see it under "Ownership & Permissions:", right below the button to "Apply to enclosed items..."

Quote:

Is this your VirtualPC disk image file that has been mounted on the Desktop?

If so, don't try and back it up as a mounted volume. Instead allow Retrospect to backup the single disk image file that contains all that data. It will be faster and more reliable.

i understand the idea, but that's not necessarily a very satisfactory solution....

doing this would essentially require that you copy the ENTIRE image every single time you boot virtual pc (assuming it makes at least some small change to the image). that's extremely inefficient and totally defeats the idea of using an archiving backup system like retrospect.

what you want, of course, is to back up only the changed files - (and ignore the usual useless changes to cache files and such). probably a factor of 10000 faster and more compact to do it this way.

this is conceptually similar to the problem i have backup up windows laptops that use ms outlook to read mail. even a trivial mail check creates a ~1G modified file that goes into the nightly backup...

Quote:

i understand the idea, but that's not necessarily a very satisfactory solution....

doing this would essentially require that you copy the ENTIRE image every single time you boot virtual pc (assuming it makes at least some small change to the image).

That is certainly true. It also destroys the ability to search by file name, etc when restoring or just trying to get file info from the backup set. Note also, though, that unless you explicitly write a selector to exclude the image file, you are already backing it up in its entirety! So backing up the mounted image (even if recommended) would actually be backing it up twice.

I've never used Virtual PC, but I presume you can create multiple virtual disks. Perhaps a partial work-around would be to create two images. A "static" one that would contain the OS, applications, and other things that should not be changing everyday (unless just accessing it would cause the modification date to change, which would be a mess), and a second, much smaller, "dynamic" disk for documents and the like. Backing up the smaller disk image every time would not be as bad as backing up the whole thing.

If the "static" disk was being backed up every time even though you were not intending to make any changes (like if the modification date of the image file changed evey time it was opened), then you could write your usual selector to explicitly exclude the "static" image and every time you did make a change to it you could back it up manually.

Archived