Quantum Guardian 4400 (Linux/Mac OS X)

Equipment:

Retrospect Workgroup 5.0.0238

Mac OS X 10.2.4

Quantum Guardian 4400

Problem:

We have been sucessfully backing up 3 Quantum Snap! 4100 Series Servers via Retrospect for at least a year. We mount them to OS X via AFP and Retrospect very happily backs them up without a complaint.

We recently acquired another server of the next incarnation from Quantum - a Guardian 4400. It uses a different Linux kernel than the older models and the way it is administered is totally different.

Retrospect refuses to recognize any file or folder on the server. When you go ahead and browse the drive through Retrospect it shows zero files. Sometimes it also returns a "File not found" -43 error.

We attempted mounting the server via Samba - (Windows File Sharing) and made a sucessful backup. Unfortunately, some of the mac files are then corrupted upon recovery due to the resource forks and data forks being seperated.

Any other time we mount the drive in Mac OS X or Mac OS 9, we can perform normal finder operations (copy, open, etc.) without a problem.

So - It comes down to whether this is a Retrospect problem, a Quantum/Linux problem, or some combination of both. I have a slight guess that it may be some weird permissions issue, but that doesn't explain why it worked via SMB.

Hopefully someone has encountered a similar problem before. TIA

• 2 weeks later...

It seemed there were many permission issues,I was working with SNAP Techs and they had me setting permissions from a Windows machine. (Our shop is 99% Mac) When I did that it whacked all permissions etc. so I whacked the whole volume, recreated the shares for guest access and that is how I got Retrospect to see the volume. Guest Access!? If I try Admin, -43 errors still occur.

Archived