Error -541 (Please do not refer me to the help page describing this error, I have already tried it)

I am running Retrospect 6 Single Server on a machine with Windows 2000 Server running on it. I use the Backup Client software to backup users in my group. I have users that use desktops and laptops. They all run fine; except for one user. He is running XP on his Dell laptop. His backups used to run fine. It hasn't worked for the last three weeks. Here is a description of my problem:

This is happening when Retrospect on the main server is saying "Sorry, couldn't connect to culverg, error -541 (backup client not installed or running"). So I open up Retrospect Client on his machine and it says "In use by techdec (main server) for scanning" or "in use by techdec for speed testing" and nothing else.

Sometimes when I try to start an immediate backup of this client it says "closing..." forever and never begins to backup the computer. Other times when I try to configure the client it looks for him for a minute; maybe even starts scanning folders then stops and says retrying, but never finds it. If I have him turn off Retrospect Client and then turn it back on the retrying error goes away until I try to do an immediate backup, or to subvolume the directories.

Retrospect Client on his machine says "In use by techdec (main server) for scanning" or "in use by techdec for speed testing" and nothing else. When I check the Processes under Task Manager you can see that it is using up all of the CPU time , but under applications you see that Retrospect is not runnng. This is happening when Retrospect on the main server is saying "Sorry, couldn't connect to culverg, error -541 (backup client not installed or running"). It will give the status when you open the client software on the client computer that This just doesn't add up.

For a small amount of time today I could not see his computer in the Multicast add procedure, then a little later I could see him.

I tried an uninstall/reinstall and this did not help. I then did a repair of the install and it did not help either.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

Yes we did the bindlistener thing. When we completed that I tried to do an immediate backup and it started scanning the two folders I had selected to backup, which is farther than it had been getting. The first folder scan was successful, but in the middle of the transistion to scan the second folder it stalled, and opened a second window and said "Retrying" forever. If I open the configure clients link and try to refresh his connection it will pause a minute or so, and say "Retrying".

I went to the operation log and this is some of the errors that are coming up.

+ Retrospect version 6.0.206

Launched at 3/28/2003 9:13 AM

Error: Scanning incomplete, error -519 (network communication failed)

soctWindDestroy: DestroyWindow() failed with error 1400

* HUN-CULVERG-LT: forgotten from client database

* HUN-CULVERG-LT: first access

Quit at 3/28/2003 11:30 AM

Launched at 3/31/2003 9:34 AM

MapError: unknown Windows error 1,792

TNetEnum::StartEnum: UNetOpenEnum failed, winerr 1792, error -1001

Quit at 3/31/2003 9:38 AM

Launched at 3/31/2003 9:38 AM

* HUN-CULVERG-LT: forgotten from client database

Quit at 3/31/2003 9:40 AM

Launched at 3/31/2003 9:43 AM

Quit at 3/31/2003 9:55 AM

Launched at 3/31/2003 9:55 AM

Quit at 3/31/2003 10:19 AM

Launched at 3/31/2003 10:19 AM

MapError: unknown Windows error 1,792

TNetEnum::StartEnum: UNetOpenEnum failed, winerr 1792, error -1001

* HUN-CULVERG-LT: added to client database

soctWindDestroy: DestroyWindow() failed with error 1400

Quit at 3/31/2003 11:23 AM

Thanks again for the help!! Hopefully we can figure it out soon.

Something on the computer, (network on the disk you were scanning) is preventing Retrospect from maintaining a solid network connection.

Try a crossover cable between the client and the server. If that fails, then you may need to check the local volume for disk trouble, which could cause a scan to fail.

You can also try disabling 3rd party software, like virus protection.

• 3 weeks later...

I am still having problems with this user. I can do a multicast to try to see if the software can even see him, and he is not listed, even though he is plugged into the network in the same room that I am in. I tried everything that you have recommended here before to no avail. His computer worked fine for about four months with no backup problems, and all of a sudden I started getting these errors.

I haven't posted in a while because I wanted to take a break and try to get away from it for a while, because I was so disgusted with it.

Anymore help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jeremy

* Verify TCP/IP settings are correct and proper for the client computer.

* Ensure there are no unnecessary activities such as disk optimization, virus scans, screen savers, or memory-intensive or processing-intensive applications running on the client during the backup. Also, verify there is not an energy saver that turns off the client computer during the backup.

* Change the time of the script execution. Backing up the client computer at a different time may access the computer when it is not busy. If backups work at other times, review what is happening at the original time on your network or on this client.

* Run disk utilities such as Scandisk on the volumes associated with this client computer.

* Verify there are current versions of the network drivers on the client computer. In addition, if it is a laptop, it may have a different boot setup (Hardware Profile) while it is docked. If it can only be backed up while docked, then it may be loading different drivers when running as a stand-alone portable.

* Connect the machine to a different port on the hub. Swap ports and cables with a nearby client that is not experiencing network trouble or producing errors.

* Confirm that your Ethernet card and network hardware are certified by Microsoft and listed on the Microsoft hardware compatibility list (HCL) at:

http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp

* Try another Ethernet card. This can sometimes help isolate the problem to a problematic hardware component. Make sure you have the most recent version of the Ethernet drivers, and that the drivers are compatible with your operating system. If the drivers are up to date, try reinstalling them.

* Try new transceivers, connectors, and a network cable.

* Install the latest service pack for your operating system. If you have recently installed new software, the service pack may also need to be reinstalled.

* Reinstall networking software and drivers,such as the TCP/IP protocol. Try a clean installation of the operating system.

* Try to back up with a direct connection between the host and client computer. A crossover Ethernet cable between the backup computer and a problem client allows you to do this.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got some more time to devote to this issue, and I was able to fix my problem. Apparently my user had done some performance tweaking on his machine and had disabled his Net Logon service. Once I turned this back on, the problem was eliminated. Thanks for all of the help.

Archived