OS X (10.2.4) and Retrospect Client (5.0.540) issues

First I apologise if I repeat issues that have already been discussed.

I have used Retrospect for years at a variety of companies on both Macs and Windows systems.

The company I am currently working for is in the middle of a program to migrate from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X.

During this process I have come across the following issues with the Retrospect client for OS X (we are using Retrospect Server 5.0.238 running on Mac OS 9.2.2, and Retrospect Client 5.0.540 running on Mac OS X 10.2.4).

1. Despite Dantz stating otherwise, I have found that it is only possible to install the client on an OS X machine if I first copy the installer to the local drive (from a network share). Dantz actually suggest putting the installer on a network share (but it does not then install correctly). This problem has occured through the last few revisions and still exists with the latest 5.0.540 client.

2. So far ALL versions of Retrospect Server 5.0.x (running on a Mac OS 9 machine) and ALL versions of Retrospect Client 5.0.x running on various Mac OS X 10.2.x machines have been unable to do network updates of the client software. This means going round EVERY Mac OS X client and manually reinstalling the newer client. This is a major bug (one that gets worse as you have more OS X clients).

3. I am regularly getting error -40 (file positioning error) on Mac OS X client machines (it does not happen all the time though). This is a known bug which STILL has not been fixed.

4. I am regularly getting error 505 (client is reserved) on Mac OS X client machines. This is temporarily resolved by rebooting the Mac OS X client machine (till the problem reoccurs). This error seems to be caused by the previous backup not correctly closing the connection to the client. Note: despite the knowledge base suggesting so, neither the Retrospect Server or Client crashed to cause this problem. Currently our servers are still all running Mac OS 9, but if this problem was to occur on OS X servers rebooting them would be much more inconvenient.

5. As has been pointed out by others, Retrospect Client still cannot intercept the Shutdown command (like it can under Mac OS 9). This counts as a missing feature rather than a bug but still needs to be fixed.

These bugs have existed through several 'updates' of Retrospect software and still have not been fixed.

On a slightly different topic.

I am aware Dantz do several addons (e.g. an Exchange server addon, a disaster recovery addon, an open files addon) for Retrospect Server for Windows.

If we were to use Retrospect Server on a Mac to backup a Windows server are these options still applicable (i.e. do they run on the Mac or only on the Windows version of Retrospect Server?). If only on the Windows version then please consider doing Mac versions as well.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

1. Despite Dantz stating otherwise, I have found that it is only possible to install the client on an OS X machine if I first copy the installer to the local drive (from a network share). Dantz actually suggest putting the installer on a network share (but it does not then install correctly). This problem has occured through the last few revisions and still exists with the latest 5.0.540 client.

I'm suprised to hear that Dantz hasn't documented the need to have the OS X Client installer on a local volume. Can you point to the places that Dantz has recommended a procedure that won't work?

The issue is with the Vise installer, which is unable to authenticate across the network. Since the Retrospect OS X Client software requires special permissions to run (most notibly having the SetUID bit enabled) it's impossible for Dantz to get around this Vise limitation.

2. So far ALL versions of Retrospect Server 5.0.x (running on a Mac OS 9 machine) and ALL versions of Retrospect Client 5.0.x running on various Mac OS X 10.2.x machines have been unable to do network updates of the client software. This means going round EVERY Mac OS X client and manually reinstalling the newer client. This is a major bug (one that gets worse as you have more OS X clients).

Yep; the feature is not implemented in the OS X Client. Bummer. But since all the buttons are there, I'm hopeful that it's something they're going to restore soon.

3. I am regularly getting error -40 (file positioning error) on Mac OS X client machines (it does not happen all the time though). This is a known bug which STILL has not been fixed.

The -40 issue with the retroped.22 file does happen every time Retrosepct tries to backup its own file, but is just for the singl file that's easily replaced with a reinstall of the OS X Client software. Since this would _only_ be an issue during/after a complete system restore, it hardly seems that much of a bother to take this extra step before re-using the restored system. I seem to recall that this started happening with Jaguar+Retrospect 5.0.238/Client 50.540; those are the current versions.

4. I am regularly getting error 505 (client is reserved) on Mac OS X client machines. This is temporarily resolved by rebooting the Mac OS X client machine (till the problem reoccurs). This error seems to be caused by the previous backup not correctly closing the connection to the client. Note: despite the knowledge base suggesting so, neither the Retrospect Server or Client crashed to cause this problem. Currently our servers are still all running Mac OS 9, but if this problem was to occur on OS X servers rebooting them would be much more inconvenient.

It's generally not necessary to restart an entire OS X machine just to reset the Retrospect OS X Client. You can simply kill/restart the pitond process, using either the GUI (Command+Click the "off" radio button, then click "on") or the terminal (using ssh for remote access; some samples of command line text have been posted on this Forum in the recent past).

If you have witnessed behavior different then what Dantz has documented, how about sharing it with the Forum? Providing exact steps you take and specific descriptions of your configuration can only help (other problems have been reported this way and addressed by Dantz since they put this Forum up).

Dave

I'm suprised to hear that Dantz hasn't documented the need to have the OS X Client installer on a local volume. Can you point to the places that Dantz has recommended a procedure that won't work?

The Retrospect Client 5.0.540 readme (see http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27651) has a section called "Installation Tips" which specifically mentions copying the client installer to a shared folder so that it can be run over the network. This as you agree does not work. As the error appears to be due to the Vise Installer, perhaps Dantz should change to a different Installer program (Apple's own does work).

The issue is with the Vise installer, which is unable to authenticate across the network. Since the Retrospect OS X Client software requires special permissions to run (most notibly having the SetUID bit enabled) it's impossible for Dantz to get around this Vise limitation.

Yep; the feature is not implemented in the OS X Client. Bummer. But since all the buttons are there, I'm hopeful that it's something they're going to restore soon.

Mac OS X is now two years old, how much longer will we have to wait?

The -40 issue with the retroped.22 file does happen every time Retrosepct tries to backup its own file, but is just for the singl file that's easily replaced with a reinstall of the OS X Client software. Since this would _only_ be an issue during/after a complete system restore, it hardly seems that much of a bother to take this extra step before re-using the restored system. I seem to recall that this started happening with Jaguar+Retrospect 5.0.238/Client 50.540; those are the current versions.

I agree this is not a critical issue but it is still an outstanding bug and one they said they were working on fixing (see http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27728).

It's generally not necessary to restart an entire OS X machine just to reset the Retrospect OS X Client. You can simply kill/restart the pitond process, using either the GUI (Command+Click the "off" radio button, then click "on") or the terminal (using ssh for remote access; some samples of command line text have been posted on this Forum in the recent past).

You are correct in that these are alternative methods of (temporarily) resolving the problem. However Dantz recommend in http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=26586 to reboot both the affected Retrospect client and the Retrospect Server. This is still a major bug and requires an administrator to keep a very close watch on backup reports, and means a minimum of one failed backup (you will not see the error till a failed attempt to backup a machine).

Another problem that I appear to have forgotten to mention previously is that the Retrospect Client under Mac OS X is not able to intercept the shutdown command and wait for a backup before completing the shutdown process (something Retrospect does under Mac OS 9). I do try and get our users to merely do a logout rather than a shutdown but the users often forget (which results in their machines not being backed up). This along with the above outstanding problems gives the impression that little or no effort is being devoted to Mac OS X issues (remember Mac OS X is now two years old!!!).

The impression (due the fact that these issues are still not resolved) is that all their efforts are devoted now to Windows development. This I am sure is not true (at least I hope so). Dantz need to remember that the Apple market is still their core constituancy.

Quote:

The Read Me says: "Network administrators may create a convenient network installation folder by copying the Retrospect Client folder to a file server.".

This is a little confusing the way it was written. It is not intended to run the installer over the network. We recommend putting it in a central location so users can have easy access to the installer. You are correct, the installer MUST be run after it has been copied to the local disk.

Quote:

. So far ALL versions of Retrospect Server 5.0.x (running on a Mac OS 9 machine) and ALL versions of Retrospect Client 5.0.x running on various Mac OS X 10.2.x machines have been unable to do network updates of the client software. This means going round EVERY Mac OS X client and manually reinstalling the newer client. This is a major bug (one that gets worse as you have more OS X clients).

Actually this is not a bug. This feature has not been added to the OS X version yet. We are hoping to do it soon though.

Archived