Why are all backups to a CD erased?

juerg

I use Retrospect Express 5.5.158 on an NT maschine with a Yamaha 8424E CD-RW drive. Since some time (I can't remeber actually when) all backups are written correctly (immediate verify reported no errors, log file shows no problem at all), but the media are recognised as erased the second time I insert them. I sometimes had even problems to start on a new medium (CD). Having tryied different CDs I didn't help at all. The software WinOnCD 3.8 never has any problems to burn a CD. Does anyone has an idea what causes these problems and how they can be solved? (making Retrospect a reliable tool again)

juerg

Have you tried reading these disks with a different supported CD drive with Retrospect? Disks that are originally "ready" and now "erased" are often just fine, but the hardware is having trouble reading the data.

If the disks are not readable in another supported drive, then the problem could be caused by the brand of media. What brand of CD's are these?

Unfortunately I don't have another CD drive or a differnet PC with Express. The media I've used (and caused problems) are from Sony (1-24x CD-R 650 MB), HP (1-24x CD-R 700 MB), imation (1-32x CD-R 700 MB) and TDK (1-16x CD-R74 650MB). The problem is, that if a CD is marked erased, how can I continue filling it with the next run. I'm seriously concerned about the integrity of my data already on the backups (if the hardware cannot read it again).

Do all CD's come up as erased or only certain CD's?

Try a backup to a new Backup Set on a new CD with verification - do you get any error messages?

If not, eject the CD and reinsert it - look in Configure > Devices, does the CD show up correctly?

What has changed in your environment between when this was working correctly and now?

Yes, all CDs come up erased. It also doesn't help if I start a new set (verification always used) and there is no error message at all. The log seems to indicate everything is okay. Under devices the drive is always correct, only the CDs are erased when inserted after the first use. The only thing - I'm aware off - that has changed, I have installed several updates and security patches (and then completely deinstalled and reinstalled Express, copied the config files and definitions).

Archived