Compression in OSX?

I've recently upgraded to OSX. I'm backing up the host and 1 OSX Client along with one OS9 client. I see that the OS9 client usually shows about 30% compression, but the OSX clients ALWAYS show 0% compression.

Anyone know what's up? Does software compression not work with OSX? (backing up to DVD superdrive)

Thanks, and Hello to all......

Chris

Thanks but I read the FAQ before I bothered to post...... The answer to my original question was not to be found, I was looking for a more 'informed' source.

Interestingly, the same system, backed up with Retro 4 running on an OS9 host consistently shows compression. But v5 running on a OSX host shows 0% compression. All else is equal, same network, same data etc. confused.gif

Quote:

Interestingly, the same system, backed up with Retro 4 running on an OS9 host consistently shows compression. But v5 running on a OSX host shows 0% compression. All else is equal, same network, same data etc.

Your original post stated that "the OS9 client usually shows about 30% compression, but the OSX clients ALWAYS show 0% compression." But since Retro 4 does can not communicate with OS X Clients, how can all else be equal in your test?

Here's what I just tried:

- OS X Client 5.0.540 running on OS X Server 10.2.4

- Retrospect 5.0.238 running on OS X 10.2.4

- Immediate Backup to CD/DVD Backup Set, using CDR media in built-in Sony CRX155E

- Configure Immediate Backup to use Software Compression and Not Compress Catalog

- Results:

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 3/31/2003 12:37 PM

To backup set CDR Compression Test?

- 3/31/2003 12:37:21 PM: Copying var on OfficeMail...

3/31/2003 12:37:21 PM: Connected to OfficeMail

3/31/2003 12:37:28 PM: Comparing var on OfficeMail...

3/31/2003 12:37:35 PM: Execution completed successfully.

Completed: 121 files, 903 KB, with 71% compression

Performance: 7.5 MB/minute (7.5 copy, 7.5 compare)

Duration: 00:00:14

How do your steps differ, other then the format of your optical drive?

Dave

Archived