Backing up under Win XP to a Buslink 80GB Firewire hard drive

Atriarch

I just installed a new Buslink FW80 72E, which is an 80GB Firewire external hard drive. It came with Retrospect Backup 5.5. I am attempting to back up approximately 23.6 GB from the source drive (C:) on my Windows XP (Home Edition) computer to the completely empty (80GB) Buslink hard drive. There should be PLENTY of space on an empty 80GB for 23.6GB of system files, data, and applications, but when I run Retrospect Express Backup, the backup does not proceed, and the backup log shows this message: "Not enough disk space for selected files (short by about 10.2 G)."

I have no idea WHY Restrospect Express thinks there's not enough room on an 80GB hard drive for only 23.6GB worth of files. Am I running into a limitation of Retrospect Express? Is Windows XP the problem. Any suggestions?

Following up on my previous post: In desperation to do a backup (so that I could install Win XP SP1, install TaxCut [which NEEDS SP1] and get started on those #@&% taxes) , I bought Norton Ghost 2003 and ran its clunky backup routine. I was able to backup my entire main drive with no problems, and still have 51.5 GB of storage space left on it. So now I have a backup, BUT I would much rather use Retrospect Express than Norton Ghost (WHERE did they get that name?). I'm not even sure I'd be able to use NG for a recovery, because my system has a USB keyboard, and I have no idea how to make the keyboard work under the DOS operation that NG uses. So I'm obviously better off using Retrospect Express -- IF I can get it to work.

How is the disk formatted? Make sure it is formatted as NTFS, so that Retrospects file backup set can grow to larger then 4 GB. FAT32 volumes limit the backup set size to 4GB.

Retrospect 6.0 can work around this limit by using a new Disk Backup Set option.

Thanks for the reply. There is no mention in the Buslink specs that came with the drive that state how it's formatted, but I just checked its properties and as you suspected, it's formatted as FAT 32.

I guess my options are to either reformat the drive (which I assume will destroy the backup set that's now on it) or upgrade to Retrospect 6.0. Considering that Retrospect Express 5.5 was included as a fully functional program with the Buslink drive and that Retrospect 6.0 will cost me $129, reformatting the drive is obviously the economical choice.

Even so, I'm going to take a look at the features of Retrospect 6.0. They may be good enough to entice me to part with more money. I wish I'd been patient enough to wait for your helpful reply and not spent $70 for Norton's clunky Ghost.

If you go to the Dantz upgrade site it looks like you can upgrade your Retrospect Express to Retrospect Professional 6.0 for $59.95.

I have noticed some of the software resellers offer a Retrospect 6.0 upgrade program for even less, like $49.95. I can't be for certain that

it's the same program.

John

Archived