Server hangs on reboot

Since I have installed Retrospect 6.0 MultiServer on my server I have had trouble restarting the computer. It goes to a black screen with blinking cursor and doesn't restart without pressing the power button. The server is a Compaq ML370. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having this same problem on a Dell Server running Windows 2000 Server SP3 but I'm using Retrospect Client 6.0 not Retrospect Server. I looked for the Open File add-on and I can't find it with the Client version.

Any help with this would really be appreciated. I have 3 other servers with the same problem.

I'm having this same problem on a Dell Server running Windows 2000 Server SP3 but I'm using Retrospect Client

Can you outline the problem that you're experiencing? There will not be an Open File custom install option on the client.

The machine will reboot then the screen will go black and there will be a blinking cursor in the top left part of the screen. It will just hang there. As soon as I uninstall Retrospect Client the problem goes away.

Thanks for your help

There are no known issues with the client software causing the issues you are describing. Which version of the client are you installing? Do you have other client machines in this environment? Are they experiencing the same issue?

Does this system have a RAID or any Promise Technology equipment?

I am having this exact problem on 2 machines:

1. Retrospect Client 6.0, Dell Poweredge 300SC, 256mb RAM, 18GB IDE HD No RAID, Windows 2000 SP3. This server is a Domain Name server and Domain Controller.

2. Retrospect Client 6.0, IBM eServer, 512gb RAM, 3x18gb SCSI drives in RAID 5, Windows 2000 SP3. This server is a web server.

The problem occurs on every reboot and goes away if I uninstall the Retrospect Client. I have no problems communicating with either server from the BackUp Server while the machines are running.

If you are running 6.0 and are experiencing crashes or freezes on restart or shutdown, it could be an issue related to the Open File filter software that gets installed (ROFF).

If you are experiencing a restart/shutdown/startup issue related to ROFF, sign up for our notification mailing list and you will be notified when this issue is resolved:

http://list.dantz.com/mailman/listinfo/roff

Archived