Express 5.6: "Cannot start" error

topcat

Express has been running fine for several weeks doing its nightly automated backup. However, a few days ago it suddenly started producing the following message each time either I or the launcher tries to start the program:

"Restrospect cannot start. You must be an administrator to backup your data with Retrospect."

Needless to say, I *am* an administrator (the same one that installed the program), have tried logging on as a different administrator, creating a new one etc - but Retrospect refuses to acknowledge any of them as valid. I have not changed anything to do with users and passwords recently or messed around with any settings - nothing in fact that could account for Retrospect suddenly packing up.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Andrew

Your configuration files may be corrupt. Try moving the config55 and the config55.bak files from C:\Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect to a new/safe location. Launch Retrospect and try to log in and enter your license code. If this is successful you'll need to reconfigure Retrospect.

Thanks - but unfortunately this doesn't make any difference. Is there anything else to try before I attempt a re-install? What is it, I wonder, that Retrospect is checking and getting wrong that causes the error message to be incorrectly displayed? (This is Win2K by the way.)

If I do have to re-install, other than the config files mentioned above (which I presume are probably not corrupt), are there other files that I should keep to ensure I don't loose anything and Retrospect carries on with life as normal?

Thanks again, Andrew

Ok, well for the benefit of anyone else who might have this problem one day (and to save them the tedious sequence of uninstall/reinstalls which I've just been through) it's the file called operations_log.utx which apparently causes the problem. This file isn't removed by an uninstall, thus perpetuating the problem. I assumed this was just a simple logfile but obviously it contains "other stuff" that can completely prevent the program working in a very strange and seemingly unrelated way.

Archived