Clients (Mac) not visible

chrislaf

Hi all,

Need some help ASAP. I have just upgraded Retrospect to version 5 and have also upgraded my 5 pack of clients to version 5.

My setup:

PowerComputing Clone - Backup Server Running OS 9 and Retrospect Desktop 5.0 Ethernet

PowerBook G3 500 - OS X client (upgraded to version 5.0) Airport

iBook SE 366 - OS 9 client (upgraded to version 5.0) Airport

AirPort Base Station 1

I want to use my Backup server to backup the OS X client and the OS 9 client. I have added my client licences into Licence Manager on the Backup Server. The problem is that Retrospect is not seeing either client on the network (OS X or the OS 9) one. What am I doing wrong? According to the knowledgebase I should be able to use my OS 9 Backup Server to backup the OS X client and the OS 9 client.

Both laptops are on the network via Airport. The Backup server is connected via and ethernet cable.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Solved this problem but I can't log into my OS X client. It asks me to confirm the client name and then for a password but when I enter my administrator password it gives me an error "Can't log in, error 507 (incorrect password). I'm at a loss. What password is retrospect asking for? I have tried my OS X administrator password with no luck.

Thanks,

Chris

The password it's asking you for is the password that you gave the client during the install process. If you don't have this password, uninstall the client (using the uninstaller for OS X client), restart and then reinstall, making note of the password.

There's also a troubleshooting document on accessing clients with 5.0 at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase_article&id=809

Also, note that there are two ways to back up over airport currently:

1. Assign each airport client a static IP address.

2. Turn on Ethernet Bridging so the airport client gains an IP address from a DHCP server on the Ethernet network.

It will not work if airport is sharing its IP address to connected computers using DHCP (NAT). Retrospect will be able to see these clients via multicast, but will not be able to communicate with them.

I have a related problem. I am moving my backup environment from a Mac (Retrospect 4.0) to Windows 2000 (Retrospect 5.6). I have installed the Retrospect Client 4.3 on my Mac, but Retrospect on Windows cannot see the Mac on the network.

When I try to configure the Mac as a client, I get a -541 error (backup client not installed or running). However, I can ping the Mac just fine from my Windows machine.

Over on the Mac, the Retrospect Client control panel says "Appletalk 4.3" gives the status as "Waiting for first access."

Somewhere in the documentation, it says that I need the TCP/IP client, not the Appletalk client, but that option was not offered when I installed (even after un-installing and re-installing multiple times). The document also tells me how to change the Mac client from an Appletalk client to a TCP/IP client --- IF I happen to be running Retrospect on another Mac, but not from a PC.

What am I missing?

(The Mac is OS 9, and TCP/IP is properly configured and always available. The Windows machine is Windows 2000, SP2)

You need to uninstall that client and re-install, making sure you select a TCP/IP client, not an AppleTalk client.

You need to restart after you uninstall and be sure that the client has been removed. This option is available in a menu from the installer if you are installing a 4.0 client or later.

Launch the 4.3 client installer.

Click Continue at the welcome screen.

Click Agree at the License Agreement.

You should get a window that has three options: Retrospect client for TCP/IP, Retrospect client for AppleTalk, and Retrospect Client AppleScript support.

This is where you tell it to install a TCP/IP client.

This did not work. I tried it three times before I wrote to you and once again after your message. It did not matter that I removed all traces of the client from the Mac before I tried again. Retrospect for TCP/IP was simply not offered as an option during the client install.

However, on a hunch, I tried disabling Appletalk before installing the client. This worked!

When I tried to install this time, Retrospect client for TCP/IP was offered, I selected it, installed, and now the Mac is visible to Retrospect Windows.

Solved all my problems. I now have Retrospect on my server seeing and backing up my OS X client and OS 9 client. What I found was that to install the OS X client software I had to install from my OS X desktop. If I tried installing from within my hard drive (top level or in a nested folder) the client installed but it didn't ask me to give it a password, so when the server tried to access the client and asked for the password, their was none and it gave me the error message I reported earlier. When I installed from the desktop the installer asked me to give it a password which in turn worked when I accessed it from my backup server.

Thanks all for the helpful replies.

Chris

• 1 month later...

I have not been able to make my Retrospect server v5.0 backup any clients in my Airport network. Has anyone successfully acheived this yet? I tried the two options in IrenaS email but no success. Also the link mentioned points help on using the eject key to open the CD-R tray.

Archived