Philips 5101 Combo drive- a mostly happy camper

All in all, it's good news for MDD Dual G4 owners.... with the latest driver update the combo drive is supported just fine, I've had it humming along in the background all day in 10.2.3 , doing its thing. I've filled about 22 cd-r disks, in tandem with an external Sony Firewire drive (CRX1600LEK). They backed up and verified just fine. Not something I'd attempt in 9.x in a hurry, stability wise....

3 quirks:

1. If, when I get a media prompt, I fill the Philips drive with a blank disk, and not the Sony, then tell the script to proceed, it informs me that "This disk is too different from the others in your backup set" and refuses to continue. However, if I fill the Sony drive first, and send it on its way then put a disk in the internal Philips, backup switches to the internal automatically just fine when the Sony's disk is full.

2. The drive has some issues with its status. When the media prompt returns (ie both disks are full, it now wants 2 more) then the status for the 2 drives is different: The Sony says "write protected", the Philips says "ready". So there's something not right there.

3. (this is not drive related). I did a pair of backups of the same data, and in both backups, one file failed compare, the log message was:

File "XXX" appears incomplete

I reran the backup immediately, and the file copied without incident the second time. Weird. Any ideas?

cheers,

Hugh

It sounds like the drivers are very different for the two devices. The status messages are coming directly from the drive. If one drive does not like the header tracks written by the other drive, then you may get what looks like an incorrect status message.

Media too different is usually not seen between two CD-R drives unless you experinced a serious media falure. It could be happening because of differences in the device driver for each drive.

Keep track of which CD's were created in which drive so you don't have trouble restoring later.

Some media too different items:

DVD-R media and Media too different errors

Media too different

File Appears Incomlete error info

Thanks for that, but I'm a bit confused.

Quote:

It sounds like the drivers are very different for the two devices. The status messages are coming directly from the drive. If one drive does not like the header tracks written by the other drive, then you may get what looks like an incorrect status message.

When you say the drivers are different, are these Retrospect's internal drivers to access the drives for packet writing? Or system level drivers, as provided by Apple (I've never installed a 3rd party driver for the Firewire drive, and the internal is an Apple drive).

Quote:

Media too different is usually not seen between two CD-R drives unless you experinced a serious media falure. It could be happening because of differences in the device driver for each drive.

Keep track of which CD's were created in which drive so you don't have trouble restoring later.

To me, it seems the Philips 5101 is the one with issues. On an later incremental run to the same backup set, it has continued to behave erractically; initially, it refused to recognise the last member of the bakup set when inserted ("No Media"). But an eject and re-insert was good enough for it to continue. It now seems happy to take blank disks (no more "Media too different" errors) and both drives will verify each other's disks happily. If they can verify, is it safe to assume they can restore each others data too?

Perhaps the device support for this drive could use a tweak?

cheers,

Hugh

Archived