Scan Device Failure

I am using Retrospect Win 6.0. When I perform a manual device scan, or when I go to do a backup and the program executes an automatic device scan, the program locks when it reaches a certain device (ID 2:1). frown.gif

So I am unable to run a backup. Anyone know how to troubleshoot this problem?

I had an Addonics DigiDrive reader installed as an IDE device. Removing that eliminated the crash with Retrospect. Now my first gripe is that a program should not crash simply because there's a device present it does not support. It may not support that device as a backup device, but the program should simply bypass it. Forcing me to remove hardware from my computer to run properly is absolutely unacceptable. Second, imagine my chagrin shocked.gif after getting the program to run correctly when I learned that my CDR (a TDK VeloCD 40/12/48x) is not a supported device! This CDR has been available for approx one year, and it is not supported.

Retrospect requires a user to jump too many hurdles to use the software, in essence the tail is wagging the dog. I upgraded to version 6 from version 5, hoping that the program would be more flexible than in the past. But I see now that it is too demanding to fool with. I will not spend any more money on future upgrades.

The TDK veloCD 40/12/40B is based on a Sanyo mechanism. We have traditionally not been able to offer support for drives with Sanyo mechanisms, as they did not meet with our quality standards. After working with the manufacturer for better support, we certainly hope that this will be changed in the future.

Dantz spends tremendous resources on testing and qualifying various backup devices with Retrospect to ensure it is doing what you want a backup product to do: meticulously and carefully making sure that your data is backed up properly.

Yes it's frustrating. That's why we recommend that you check the compatibility list before making a purchase that may not immediately, or possibly ever, suit your backup needs.

I can understand the necessity and desirability of testing backup devices for compatibility and reliability. However, my previous post had two points. No device in my system should crash the program when it runs, as did my Addonics Digidrive. And no hardware device should have to be removed to get the program to run. When the program scans for devices, any unrecognized devices should be ignored. You will not be able to convince me that this is a "feature" and not a design flaw.

Quote:

You will not be able to convince me that this is a "feature" and not a design flaw.

It's not a feature - it's a known, documented conflict between some flash card readers and Retrospect. We're aware of it, and our development team has been actively working on a solution. Until there is a solution, Retrospect and card readers cannot co-exist in the some environments. This is not across the board in most user systems, it's dependent on what drivers are being loaded - my home system runs just fine with a card reader attached.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived