Can I "preview" a script? See which files it thinks will be backed up.

As I watch my backup run I notice it backs up files that I don't think I specified. I will go back and see afterward and figure out what I did wrong with my script. But I was wondering if I could preview a script, have Retrospect put a list of files and folders it will backup based upon my script.

I have been reading about the browser where I could do an immediate backup and select stuff. But the browser apparently doesn't work in the script mode. As I build a script with selectors and de-selectors it would be nice to double check that my logic is correct and see a "browser" like window of what I have done.

In fact I am also looking for script advice for OS X. I assume I can reinstall all the OS stuff and Mac supplied software from my disks. So I want a script to copy only documents I create, important preferences that are changed, and software I install. Now I have put this software all in one folder so I can figure that out. But in every "user" folder there are probably many files supplied by the OS that I don't need to copy. I don't think I need to backup MPEGQ1jrc6, for example.

So either I need a browser to help me set up the script (to pick folders for back-up) or some help with selectors.

Thanks, I will look into that. Sounds just like what I want.

Did you see my post about having problems backup the non-logged in user's files? Do I need to log on as the root user to be able to backup and verify all users on the computer? Or was this a media related problem (these are my first optical backups and I found out earlier that Maxell CD-R have a ton of errors - the rumor is that these are good audio CD's but not good data CDs). It was suspicious that all the error files were from that one user and happened during the verify.

Again thanks.

Thanks for the root information. I went to a seminar just today about permissions and they explained that when a program asks for the magic password that you are actually letting the software run as root. And Retrospect is doing just that.

I am now getting to verify my CD-RW backup to look and see if I see errors. So if I see problems then I have a media or writing problem and not a permissions problem.

I suspect that an improved driver might be in order (even the new driver patch does not specifically mention the Pioneer 105). At our seminar the person from the Apple store mentioned they had a beta of the "new version" mentioned in several posts.

Again thanks for all the help. These forum rock!

Dantz is deeply in development on a new version for the Macintosh, which includes some great new features. Just because we are developing Windows software, it does not mean we have forgotten about the Macintosh users.

Because of the huge project involved in lifting the 1TB limit, that feature will not be in our next release.

This is from your post on 12/12/01 #21140

then the apple guy made his comment and I assumed a new beta was floating around.

Quote:

Product development has many cycles from planning to development to testing to alpha to development to testing to beta to more development and more testing and then more testing and even more testing and sometimes more beta to finally a release.

I had not looked at the date very carefully of your post. I am sure your developers are always in a cycle doing something to help. As a new owner of the 17" imac (pioneer 105 drive) and long time user of Retrospect I wanted to get started on my routine of nightly incremental backups. But I now think there is not yet a good driver for the Pioneer (it is not specifically mentioned as one of the additions in the file with the latest drivers). So Retro does see the drive but we get errors that appear during the verify stage.

I will keep lurking looking for the driver update that will include the pioneer 105.

thanks for the help so far.

Archived