Verify "hangs" from bad media

Dual 867 MDD G4 running X.2.3 backing up itself stalled during verify after normal backup (but a backup where I had added a new volume to the backup group). Dialog box was stuck at 8032 files remaining but no progress made in 1 hr. I cancelled operation.

Then tried to verify the storage set members, dialog box/progress window reported normal numbers, then reported 8,256,248,249 GB remaining (or some such large unreasonable number).

**Log reported drive error, though I know the root cause was bad imation DVD-R media with dye defects/scratch at edge of disk.

How can I get Retrospect to find which files are unreadable on the disks, so that it backs those files up again? Repair doesn't offer an obvious choice - or do I just want to recreate the catalog from the DVD-R set members?

Marking that DVD-R disk loses 3.7-4.0G of information that is readable; which I speculate might make some snapshop configurations unrecoverable. Are there _any_ other options, which don't lose all that data and which don't require so much backup time to fix??

PS I'm a naturally curious guy, that likes alternatives! and if I've got the ear of someone with a Ph.D. in backup - I just thought I'd ask..

Thanks, Jim

Archived