Client CPU usage zooms up when Server is stopped

Hi,

I'm running the latest versions of Retrospect Server with two Clients on OSX 10.2.3.

If the server is stopped, especially when a backup is in progress, the CPU usage of the client machines will often rocket to 100%. Using the Client application to turn the Client daemon on or off has no effect, and the only way to reduce CPU consumption on the Client is to kill the offending daemon process (pitond) in either Terminal or Process viewer. Once this is done, CPU usage returns to normal, and restarting the daemon via the client app causes no problems.

CPU usage is within expected limits when the Client and Server are communicating normally.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a fix?

Thanks,

-z-

Quote:

the only way to reduce CPU consumption on the Client is to kill the offending daemon process (pitond) in either Terminal or Process viewer.

You can't kill pitond from Process Viewer unless you're logged into the Aqua Finder as root.

Are you?

Does this happen if there is no logged in user, or if you're logged in as a non-root user?

There were some discussions of this when Retrospect 5.0 was first released. I have not seen any posts about this for a long time.

Dave

Quote:

Quote:

the only way to reduce CPU consumption on the Client is to kill the offending daemon process (pitond) in either Terminal or Process viewer.

You can't kill pitond from Process Viewer unless you're logged into the Aqua Finder as root.

Are you?

Sorry, my apologies. I thought my colleague was using Process Viewer to kill it. He isn't, he's using terminal, as am I.

Quote:

Does this happen if there is no logged in user, or if you're logged in as a non-root user?

I don't know how to check if this happens when no-one is logged in. It definitely happens when logged in as non-root, both clients are like this (both admin users though).

Quote:

There were some discussions of this when Retrospect 5.0 was first released. I have not seen any posts about this for a long time.

I searched before posting but couldn't find anything. How long do the archives go back in these forums?

Thanks for your help.

-z-

Quote:

What version of the client is this? What does the process viewer show for Pitond when this happens?

Client is version 5.0.540

Server is version 5.0.238

Both downloaded from the dantz site within the last week or so.

Process viewer shows 70% to 85% usage for pitond, depending on how much other stuff is going on.

Thanks for your help!

Over a month ago (closer to 2) two of us posted a similar problem. We were told in this forum that it was a know issue with the client. I've been periodically checking for a patch/fix, since I've had to remove the client from my OS 10.2 servers, but nothing seems to have been made to solve this problem.

Archived