Retrospect 5.15 Cant See Tape Device - Help!!

Souly

Hi ya,

I have Retrospect Express 5.15 (plus the rdu21 file).

I have a seagate USB Travan tape drive.

I am running Win2K Pro, SP3:

My problem is that retrospect won't see the drive in the device list?

NTBackup can see it fine but retrospect can't? I have stopped removable storage and tried it again but with no luck!!

Can anyone help me out here please as its getting quite annoying now.

Cheers

Souly

Kova,

Which post is it you are talking about? Not sure how to find by that number you supplied?

Quote:

See recent post #20527 (and replies). Maybe there is some help for you there. I think Amy must have given up on me. Maybe you will have more success.

I see that we share a similar problem though. Hopefully someone can help us.

Hi ya Mayoff

In the devices section I don't see the tape device at all! Only get my HD's, CD-R and my LS120! It's the USB1 version of the drive.

But like I said in Removable storage it sees it fine and the Seagate Utility sees the drive also!! frown.gif

Quote:

When you go to Configure>Devices>Environment (or device status) does anything display in the window for the drive or is it empty?

Does the device manager show an item for the USB Bridge? Is this the USB 1 or the USB 2 version of the drive?

Check to see if ASPI is properly installed. Run the ASPI check utility (ASPICHK.exe located in the Retrospect folder under Program Files:Dantz:Retrosepct). If it reports ASPI is not fully installed on your computer, or if the versions listed are not all at 4.60 or higher, run the ASPI installer (ASPIINST.exe, also in the Retrospect folder). For more information about ASPI, see “ASPI Explained” in the Retrospect User's Guide or see www.adaptec.com.

In the Windows Device Manager, what do you have listed under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers -- other then Primary and Secondary IDE Channel?

Please confirm the version of Retrospect, available from Help > About Retrospect.

Hi ya AmyC,

I have the correct ASPI drivers, I've tried two versions the 4.60 and the 4.7.12 but to no avail.

In device manager other than those below I have 'Freecom Cable II USB' (i got the latest drivers the other day).

The version of retrospect is: 5.15 (with the rdu21 file) - do I have to pay for an upgrade? The software came with my Seagate Travan Drive?

I'm running out of ideas here!!

I would use NTBackup but it won't use the compression using /hc:on, thats why I wanted to use retrospect to see if it would compress.

Cheers

Souly

Quote:

Check to see if ASPI is properly installed. Run the ASPI check utility (ASPICHK.exe located in the Retrospect folder under Program Files:Dantz:Retrosepct). If it reports ASPI is not fully installed on your computer, or if the versions listed are not all at 4.60 or higher, run the ASPI installer (ASPIINST.exe, also in the Retrospect folder). For more information about ASPI, see “ASPI Explained” in the Retrospect User's Guide or see

In the Windows Device Manager, what do you have listed under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers -- other then Primary and Secondary IDE Channel?

Please confirm the version of Retrospect, available from Help > About Retrospect.

Hi ya,

Well...tried the tape and software on my laptop and it works smile.gif ... but I'm not sure why it won't work on my PC. I think something is using the device so restrospect can't use it coz when I go to stop the device using the remove hardware option it says "something else is using the device" BUT WHAT...is the problem now. Tried a few things, unistalling some apps etc but that aint worked either...:(

Any ideas???

Souly

Quote:

The drive is definitely supported by 5.15 - no need to upgrade. Try a clean install of Retrospect (uninstall / reboot / reinstall). If the drive is still not seen, try taking it to another computer and install Retrospect. Is the drive seen?

Archived