Error -1028 even with newer Retro versions

I have Retrospect on my 15" 800mhz iMac running 10.2.4 and have Retrospect Client on my PowerMac G4 Cube running 10.2.4, Client version is .540 (current) as is Retro. version = computers are connected by ethernet network and show up and I can click and drag over the Cube to the iMac and vice versa. I have rebooted both. Everything is running except Retro.

I have now twice or more tried to back up the Cube -- I keep getting the "-1028 not on the network" message and when I try to configure (reconfigure?) the Cube as a client it says the same thing == but it is on the network, it has been on the netowrk, it even comes over on the desktop of the iMac but still wont backup

this problem existed under 10.2.3 but not all the time = it started within the past few days

I do think there have been past problems where Retro won't just sit in background or start on its own but needs me to start it up.

What gives and what is the cure?????

Quote:

computers are connected by ethernet network

Not all ethernet networks are the same.

One troubleshooting tack you can take is to isolate the network hardware from the various software components. The easiest way to do this would be to network these two machines together on their own isolated Local Area Network. All you need is a single ethernet cable running from one to the other (modern macs will auto-sense the configuration, so a cross-over cable is not required).

- Configure each Mac with a unique IP address in the same subnet (such as 10.10.10.1 and 10.10.10.2). - Give each a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

- No need to enter anything in any other fields.

- Make sure no firewall coinfigurations are setup on either machine (Sharing-Firewall)

- Confirm you can ping from each machine to the other

Then try and log the client into the Retrospect application.

What happens when you try this?

Dave

Hi;

Is the firewall on either or both of the Macs enabled? (system preferences->sharing->Firewall tab).

If so, turn it off on both and then see if that helps.

I had an issue this week where my client OSX machine gave me the "-1028 not visible on network"error and was not backing up. It was visible and shareable by regular Finder file sharing. The Retro client was also visible and responding in Retrospect as well, but if I tried to configure it, it gave me the -1028.

Turns out the boss's kid was fooling around on the client machine and enabled the firewall...as well as Remote Login and FTP mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I'd actually like to know what ports or services Retro uses so I *could* enable the firewalls...does anybody know?

Maybe Remote Apple Events? I didn't have time to play with it tonight before leaving work.

--

mollicat cool.gif

Dave, I don't think it's the Ethernet network = Retro worked fine up to awhile ago = it worked fine in other words for a year or so since I moved to OsX...so I think the point you and Mollicat made about the Firewall is the answer == I'll start first with that, thus, and see == I enabled Firewall in OSX10.2.4 because I also have Personal File & Web Sharing enabled == if that's the issue, as i expect it is = then what do I do if I do want to have the Personal F-W Sharing enabled in OSX and use Apache, but have the Firewall need because of that? I can't believe Retro hasn't addressed that issue before....but i'll check it out first.

If this isn't the easy answer, I'll check the other and get back = thanks for the suggestions and help.

Victoria

Quote:

I'd actually like to know what ports or services Retro uses so I *could* enable the firewalls...does anybody know?

It's port 497. In fact, it's always been on the list already labeled as "Retrospect (497)" (presumably placed there by the client installer), but you may need to scroll down to find it.

Quote:

it's always been on the list already labeled as "Retrospect (497)" (presumably placed there by the client installer)

It's actually part of Apple's standard OSX install. Even though they came out with their own backup program, Apple still recognizes Retrospect as in important component of their OS X strategy.

Dave

Thanks for the info on REtrospect Port == I found it awhile ago by luck == sticking it under "New" in the sharing Setup and without making it clear there were pre-set choices available [i thought that meant 'make a new one' and since I didn't know beans about doing so, never thought to open 'new'] to check out and use.

Anyway, the answer is found and many many thanks for all the good advice and help here.

Victoria

Quote:

The answer is the Firewall idea...I turned off PersonalWebSharing AND the Firewall and now Retro works just fine == so, if I do want to use PWS and the Firewall, how can I use Retrospect -- I gather I need to set a port for it, but which???

So does anyone have an idea about what to do with a machine that has the Firewall turned off, Web Sharing turned off, Personal File Sharing turned off, the client can be pinged by the server and seen, port scanned and port 497 is seen as being open and available by the server....and still the -1028 error pops up?

This is getting ridiculous....

An error 1028 means that Retrospect does not find anything at that specific IP address, as if the computer is turned off. You have tried pinging, but have you tried to ping in both directions?

If you put a copy of Retrospect on a different "server" can it find this client?

If the client appears in the client database, forget it from that Window and see if you can re-add it.

Archived