Help! Error -50 (feature not supported)

Help!

Ok I'm have a very very odd error while trying to perfrom a 21.1 GB Retore.

The exact error message is as follows:

> Trouble writing files, error -50 (feature not supported).

Hardware is a G4/500, 256megs of RAM, internal 20Gig SCSI drive.

SCSI Card is an ATTO ExpressPCIPro UL2D with ADIC 23-Tape DLTIV drive hooked externally.

Retrospect is version 5.0.238, Driver Version 3.3.104. Mac OS X Server 10.2.3.

I am attempting to restore 21.1 Gigs of Data to an externally hooked up 35 Gig LaCie Firewire Drive for one of my clients whose server had crashed. Retrospect will start the restore but give me an error about privledges and that I need to uncheck the ignore privs box in the Get Info window.. this option does not exist in 10.2.X.. only 10.1.X. Retrosepct will restore 308.4megs of the files and then quit and give me the error listed above.

Techsupport and the Knowledgebase or Manual state nothing at all about this error code. Somebody please help.. my client needs their data bad!

- jacin

When doing the restore, are you doing a restore entire disk, replace corrosponding, retrieve files and folder or a retrieve just files?

If you attempt a "replace corrosponding restore" to continue where you left off, what happens? Do you get the error immediatly or does it restore some data first?

Does it appear to be stopping on a specific file or directory with each restore attempt?

A local restore (to an HFS+ formatted disk) should not report this error message. Have you tried formatting the disk while booted under Mac OS X or was this disk formatted at the factory?

Quote:

Retrospect will start the restore but give me an error about privileges and that I need to uncheck the ignore privs box in the Get Info window.. this option does not exist in 10.2.X.. only 10.1.X.

Not so.

The "Ignore privileges..." check box in OS X 10.1.x has been reworded to read "Ignore ownership..." in Jaguar. It's under the "Ownership & Permissions" disclosure triangle in the Get Info box.

Quote:

it is not present in the GetInfo box on this Firewire Drive at this point.

The "Ignore ownership..." checkbox will appear for all local volumes except the boot drive.

There's something you're not telling us.

How does what you're doing differ from the following?:

- 20 Gig SCSI internal HD in the G4.

---That is the boot drive that contains the OS X Server software

---That drive contains the catalog

---That is the only internal HD in the server

- External SCSI tape drive

---That drive contains the tape that contains the data

- External FireWire HD

---That drive has been freshly partitioned with Disk Utility

- Retrospect is running locally on the G4

- Immediate->Restore->Restore entire drive

- Source: Snapshot contained in Tape Backup Set

- Destination: Root level of external FW drive

- Confirm "Replace entire drive" warning

- Warning that "Ignore priviliges" is enabled on Destination.

- Click "Proceed"

- Retrospet matches files and presents Execution box

- Execute

- Error after some files are restored

• 3 months later...

For some reason I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see the "Ignore Ownership" on only one of my Firewire drives and why Retrospect was Error -50 all over the place.

For some strange reason when this problem Firewire drive was formatted it was Format "Mac OS Standard" not "Mac OS Extended". Huge mistake. Standard doesn't support Mac OS X naming lengths and other wonderfully weird stuff. (Apple 106843)

Subtle mistake, but .... happens.

Archived