Retrospect 6.0 Hangs

JeffreyLee

Whenever I try to exit Retrospect 6.0 (running on XP), the status bar says "Quitting . . ." and the program hangs with the hard drive (destination for backups) light flickering constantly. I try killing the program with Windows Task Manager, but to no avail. End up having to reboot the computer . . . and XP even hangs at shut-down (with the hard drive light still flashing), forcing me to hit the reset button.

This makes Retrospect 6.0 unusable until I get a fix.

I tried uninstalling, deleting the directories in Program Files, and then reinstalling. I always get the same response.

This is a bad dream.

See if this helps:

Turn of the XP System Restore

Start> Settings> Control Panel> System> System Restore Tab

1. Put a check in the Turn off System Restore box for all drives. Click Apply, then click OK

2. Retart the computer

3. Reboot and it should work correctly.

I am using Retrospect 6.0 Professional and have had the exact same problem. I called Dantz customer service and explained to them that Retrospect had been "quitting" for the last 45 minutes with a tremendous amount of disk activity (caused by no other app). I told customer serviced that I did not want to force Retrospect to quit because I was affraid of losing or corrupting data on the drive experiencing constant activity. Though this was my first call to Dantz ever they stuck to their policy and would not give me a free incident to speak with Technical Support. I'm sorry but I don't think paying over half the cost of a faulty product is acceptable. I left that conversation as a disenchanted Dantz customer. Much to my surprise, while I was signing up for this forum, Retrospect actually finished "Quitting"!!! Not only that but it freed up about 50GB of space on my hard drive in the process. I don't know what the heck happened but I do know that I am done with Dantz. When I find an alternative I will sell my copy of Retrospect to someone who doesn't mind policy-driven customer "service". P.S. Turning off System Restore is not an acceptable option! Dantz should have listed that on their Product Features page so I could have taken it into account when deciding to buy Retrospect!

Archived