Iomega Zip CD 650 USB Compatibility

Does anyone know if my Iomega ZIPCD 650 USB 4X4X6 CD/CD-RW drive is compatible with the new release of Retrospect 5 for OS X? Using the Dantz compatibility search engine, I can only get information on the Iomega ZIPCD 650 with an ATAPI interface (unqualified for Mac OS)- no USB listed. The device status info for my drive is:

ID: USB:1

Vendor: IOMEGA

Product: ZIPCD 650 USB

Version: I2,2

Driver: IOMEGA CD-RW (1.50)

I could not get this drive to work with the Retrospect OS X Preview Edition- I got a message saying the disc was write protected. This drive does work with OS X though- I've burned music cds and copied my iPhoto library. Anyone got any suggestions other than downloading the upgrade and trying a back-up???

Thanks!

Jim Fleming

Haiku, Maui, Hawaii

• 1 month later...

I have a Mac PowerBook G4 running Apple OS 9.2. I use a Predator USB External CD-RW drive. The software is the Mac version of "Express Backup."

You sent a answer to a post concerning this drive's compatibility in March. I'm asking if this CD Drive has yet been tested and/or approved for use. I continue to get a "locked" CD-RW icon when trying to use the drive, even though I have reserved the "CD for Retrospect" 4th option in the earlier pop-up menu when the media (CD-RW) was inserted into the drive. There ought to be a way to use this drive without having to obtain another CD Drive.

If that's the only way to use the software, why didn't Dantz post the "acceptable" drives on the outside packaging where potential buyers can see it?

This drive is not yet supported for use with Retrospect. For a list of currently qualified devices, please see:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list

Dantz goes through a rigorous qualification process with every drive we test. This means that not every drive will be qualified and we can never guarantee that a particular device will be supported. Some drives do not get qualified ever, and some take 6 months to a year to get support. We have no way of telling if this drive will be supported or not at this moment.

We add device support often though, so do check back with our Hardware Compatibility list. Printing a list of supported devices on the box isn't really practical. For one, the list is very long, and two, it changes, and would be out of date before the product made it to the shelves.

Archived