SCSI tape on beige G3/OSX

I am thrilled to hear about the release of Retrospect 5 for OS X. I have a rev A beige G3 MT with a Sony DDS-2 4mm drive connected to the built in SCSI (external). This works great with OS 9. I have seen the notes on the Dantz website about how different SCSI is under OS X, and the lists of supported and unsupported SCSI cards. But there is no mention of the built-in SCSI host adapter. Has anyone had any experience using the built-in SCSI with Retrospect under OS X?

I will probably be getting a new machine next year, but until then I need to keep using my G3. I am trying to decide if I should upgrade my Retrospect 4.x desktop to 5.0 Desktop, or if I can't use my 4mm tape anyway, maybe I should just get 5.0 Express and save a few bucks. Anyone have any suggestions?

Lowell

Hey!! Can't somebody from Dantz comment on this? Perhaps on one of the compatibility

lists. Just say "Beige G3 internal SCSI is not supported at this time." and I'll be happy.

I've been watching this for a week now (since lowell posted) and wasn't going to start

filling the forum with *me-too* posts. I guess I'll have to blow the dust off an old SE/30

to use as a backup server. What?? You mean I have to *buy* client licenses now, when they

were included with my 4.3 desktop version before? Sounds like a *down* grade to me...

Funny thing is, I never needed to use the client licenses before...

My experience suggests that a Macintosh Server G3 (beige) with stock SONY SDT-9000 drive connected to internal SCSI DOES NOT WORK WITH RESTROSPECT 5.0 Server UNDER OS X 10.1.3. Backups ALWAYS terminate with "Trouble writing media. Error 102 (trouble communicating)".

1. SONY drive firmware updated to 6.0.1

2. all cables well seated

3. fails on different tapes (usually some hundreds of MBs into the backup)

Hardware setup has worked flawlessly for years under Mac OS 8/9 and Restrospect 4.3.

I suspect this is an OS X SCSI issue, though would love for Dantz's comments on the matter.

(Not interested in paying $$$ for the priviledge, however).

dk

The Ultra Wide SCSI card that was an option for these units is the "ATTO ExpressPCI PSC" card, and has three ports - an internal 68 pin port, an internal 50 pin port, and an external 68 pin port. The external port ships with a beige sticker over the port, as it is not available for expansion purposes.

Important: Do not connect any SCSI devices to the external 68-pin SCSI-3 connector or to the internal 50-pin SCSI-2 connector on the PCI card that supports the internal hard disk. Connecting even one external SCSI device to the external 68-pin connector extends the overall cable length of the SCSI bus beyond the limit for which error-free operation can be guaranteed; the combined length of the internal cable and the external cable reduces the reliability of all the devices connected to the Ultra Wide SCSI bus. Connecting a device to the internal 50-pin SCSI-2 connector will cause your Ultra Wide SCSI devices to transfer data at the slower, SCSI-2 rate.

We have not seen problems so far with this card. There's another thread on the forum where users reporting problems mention a firmware update for the Sony drive helped. You may want to look into this as well.

thank you for your reply. i am sorry for not making clearer that the SDT-9000 is using the on-baord SCSI bus, NOT any provided by the ATTO card. after another week of testing, i believe i have found the bug which is responsible for the error 102 problem.

1. problem: with backup server running Restropect Server 5.0, all OS X client backups FAIL with error 102 WHEN EITHER HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE COMPRESSION IS SELECTED. failure usually occurs 1GB or so into backup (writing to tape). backups of OS X clients complete without error IF BOTH HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE COMPRESSION IS DISABLED. password encryption seems to have no effect one way or the other.

2. solution (workaround): disable SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE COMPRESSION

Review of setup: Macintosh Server G3 Beige (333MHz), stock SONY SDT-9000 (firmware 6.0.1) tied to SCSI controller on logic board, OS X 10.1.3.

• 4 weeks later...

>> The Ultra Wide SCSI card that was an option for these units is the "ATTO ExpressPCI PSC" card

>> We have not seen problems so far with this card.

What does that mean?

Does this mean that the card is "supported" by retrospect?

If so, why doesn't this adaptor show up in the SCSI supported list?

I have been using this card with the preview. It works but fails to activate the robotics in my auto loader. Is this because it isn't supported in the preview release, or is this a symptom of this SCSI card?

Archived