Launcher problem with XP

lghcpa

Hello,

We are trying out the demo version of Retrospect 6.0, and it seems like a really slick product. However, I can't get the launcher to work for unattended backups.

The problem is that it fails with a 'insufficient permissions' error on network volumes.

I have the user set up in the Administrator group.

I then tried to add Administrator to the "log on as..." option to the launcher service. However after I do this, when I exit Retrospect it says the Launcher service is not running, even though it seems to be running when I go to the Services control panel..

The backup starts OK if Retrospect is running when the script starts.

Any ideas? I don't understand what I'm doing wrong!

--chris

Take a look at the thread:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=professional&Number=13800&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=all&vc=1

esp. my last post about trying RP6 with different logins. It sounds similar to your "the Launcher service is not running, even though it seems to be running" comments. RP6 seems to "play nicest" when the Retro Launcher account is the same one you're manually logged in as (or if you're logged out completely).

I assume that when you say "I have the user set up in the Administrator group" that you mean you are no longer using "LocalSystem" for the Retro Launcher service but have changed that to be an Admin-level account (name & password). And *then* restarted the Service.

BTW, I am running RP6 under XP SP1 with auto unattended backups.

OK.. I think I've got it (mostly)

The problem was I was changing the launcher to logon as (local) "Administrator" rather than the network domain logon for the current user (i.e. the one I usually login as, had already given administrator rights too, installed Retrospect under, etc.).

After doing this, it appeared to launch itself ok and go into the script. I say "appear" because when Retropect automatically launched, it wasn't updating the screen graphics properly. No characters were showing up, and blocks of the desktop background were showing through. So I don't really know what it was doing. I guess it doesn't matter if its working properly, since it'll be in the middle of the night, but it looked pretty strange nonetheless...

Any thoughts on the screen redraw problem?

Makes sense. You need permissions (e.g. domain login) that allow you to access the network resources.

On the screen redraw issue, I see it when Retro launches as a service and I'm not logged in as any users (e.g. when I boot the machine but don't log in, or when I log out but don't shut down). When I then log in (and assert graphic configs as that user -- e.g. video card/monitor resolutions), Retro is a jumble of a window, half-icons and no text. I don't know how to fix this. I don't recall whether it also happens when Retro service launches as a user other than the one logged in (I don't think so). If I'm logged in and the Retro service launchers as the same user, the screen graphics on my system are fine (e.g. I can see icons & text, interact with Retro to stop the script, etc.).

Are you seeing the odd graphics only when the Retro service launches (as whatever domain user) when you *are* still logged locally in or *aren't* logged in locally but later log in during the script execution?

• 3 months later...

Count me in too. I have the same problem in XP - the screen goes corrupt. If the operation doesn't complete and is waiting for some input, you have to cancel - sometimes in the middle of an operation - and restart Retrospect. Ouch!

My specs:

Win XP on P4 1.5 Ghz socket 487 processor

NVIDIA GeForce 3 Ti 200 64 MB RAM

256 MB Main RAM

20 GB HD for OS only 25% in use, 75% available.

Data is on a different physical drive.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for looking into it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have this problem too in Pro 6.0 with XP Pro. It's a pain in the a**.

The screen is a jumble after our nightly backups, but we've gotten better at "guessing" where the buttons are to shut Retrospect down. I'm glad Dantz has a fix coming in the next version. My question is, will Dantz provide the upgrade free of charge to those of us with this issue or will we have to pay again?

Archived