Problem with DDS3 Autoloader with Adaptec 2930CU

Hi All

Have moved across to OS X, am hoping to soon find a solution that prevents me from having to reboot to OS 9 every night to backup.

System as follows:

PowerMac G4 733

Adaptec 2930U (with Driver v1.1)

Adaptec 39160 (with Driver v1.1)

Sony TSL-S9000 DDS3 Autoloader (connect through 2930U SCSI Adapter)

All works fine with Retro 4.3 in OS 9. Full Autoloader functions working (using ADK). Now in OS X, the 2930U card is recognised in ASP, but the Autoloader unit no longer appears (as it does in OS 9). Has anyone else got this same configuration and either have success or failure - or at least have the Autoloader running under OS X.

At this point I'm considering trying the connection through the 39160, but need to get a female 68-pin to 50-pin Centronics to test it for it possibly not working (can always take back if it fails).

I have approached all parties in the loop, Adaptec, Dantz and Sony (most attrocious support of all in Australia), and all point fingers at each other saying it must be their problem, go check with them.

Hair is slowly wearing thin, so if anyone has anything to add regarding my problem, please do.

Kind Regards

Brendan Underwood

Perth, Western Australia

Irena

To clarify for you, the Autoloader does not show up in ASP, therefore it doesn't showup in Retro. I am aware that it is more than likely not Retro that is the problem here, and was hoping that there may be someone with a similar setup that has had success or failure with the result of possibly tracking down which is the component that may be at fault. At this point I know I'm down to SCSI card or Autoloader.

Thanks for replying.

Cheers

Brendan

For the record, I'm having the same problem with a single tape SDT-9000.

My setup: Sony SDT-9000 tape drive in APS Enclosure, and a G4 400 with an Adaptec 2930CU SCSI and a 2909 card. OS 10.1.3. Installed the latest updates from Adaptec (1.1.0).

All is well in 9.2.2, but tape drive doesn't show up in Apple System Profiler in 10.1.3.

Since Dantz qualified the 9000, I wonder if Dantz was able to get a SDT-9000 to work in 10.1.3 with a different, non Adaptec, SCSI card?

I feel your pain, at least some of it.

- T. Payton

HolyCow! Creative, Albuquerque, NM

As you're in the US, have you managed to contact Sony support to see if they can verify if this drive is compatible with OS X? I tried to contact support in the US, but they said they can't help as I'm in a different country. Complete B.S. really. Tried to contact support in Australia and I spoke with someone who for one didn't really know what OS X was let alone SCSI. Will be contact them again next week to speak to their support manager. Let's hope that you have better luck with Sony support in the US. All we're after really is a yes or no on whether it's supported. If it is, then the card is the problem and we can try another, if it isn't, then I suppose we'll be looking for a different backup solution.

Cheers

Brendan

PS> Thanks for replying, nice to know I'm sharing some of the pain. Lucky we're still able to run under OS 9.

I haven't tried to contact Sony yet, but I wonder if APS knows anything about this issue. They seem to be very knowledgeable.

I also want to try the firmware update on the DAT. Of course, who knows if the Adaptec adapter will work on a PC.

I put up a new post in this forum asking if anyone is able to get a Sony DAT working in 10.1.3. Keep an eye on that one. Perhaps it's just a SCSI card issue.

I'm going to move my DAT to an old beige G3 for the time being. Retrospect 5 works just fine on it. It's just not as exciting as runing retrospect in OS 10.

- T. Payton

HolyCow! Creative, Albuquerque, NM

• 4 months later...

I am having a problem witn PowerDomain 2930CU and archive python dds w autoloader on G4 400 with 10.1.5

The tape drive does not report correctly via the scsi card (and is not seen by retrospect) and Adaptec has informed me directly today (7/31/2002) that nomatter what Dantz claims, adaptec states that NO SUPPPORT FOR RETROSPECT VIA A POWERDOMIAIN 2930CU CURRENTLY WORKS ON OS X! The two companies are pointing fingers at both each other and Apple also.

The scsi card (Powerdomain 2930CU) and my drive (archive python) appear to be supported- the card is EXPLICITLY LISTED and the tape is not listed as unsupported.

Of course, everything works perfectly under 9.2.x

The system state of OS X and device usability is far worse then the environment under WIndows XP. We have come a long way from the technology and the vendor interest and integrity that was present in the Mac 128 and Mac Plus days. Personally I am fed up with the community of "equally guilty" vendors. If a combined suite of products does not achieve an end goal and still costs me money and personnel time (never mind the associated risk) then I will abandon that group as a viable option. Time is running out on this combination of products as viable : Mac OS X, Retrospect, Adaptec PowerDomain 2930CU.

Is any progress to be made here rather then politically correct finger pointing?

Archived