I can still see the menu bar

I thought this problem was fixed, but I guess it's not. I have automatic backups shceduled at 2am on my local machine only. If for some reason the computer isn't on at 2am, Retrospect will (as it should) get things going as soon as the computer is back on.

My problem is that when I get to the OSX login screen, there's Retrospect doing its thing behind the panel, and it makes the whole menu bar visible. So, if someone wanted to be malicious, they could get into the system prefs from the apple menu and wreak havoc.

I'm using the latest version of Retrospect (5.0.238) on a DP450 G4, 2G RAM, not that I think any of that matters. Has anyone else seen this? Does Dantz know that this problem still exists?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, me too.

The knowledgebase article regarding this issue states:

"The original release of Retrospect 5.0 for Mac OS X does not provide a way for Retrospect to "hide" the Apple Menu if Retrospect autolaunches while logged out of Mac OS X. Upgrade to Retrospect 5.0.236 to avoid this problem."

I am running 5.0.236 and this problem still has not been resolved.

Dantz, please see posts titled "HUGE security hole" from SEVEN months ago regarding this problem. Has this been resolved or is the knowledgebase article incorrect?

• 5 months later...

Can anyone from Dantz please comment on when this issue will be resolved. At first this was just a mild annoyance, now it has become a security audit criticism that I must respond to by indicating a date (or even just what quarter) when it will be resolved. The original post for this issue is from November 2002, 8 months ago!

Contrary to KB artile 27305, this issue is NOT fixed (it is irrelavent that it was once fixed and is now broken again).

If this is to be serious enterprise software, the backup server should run as a headless (i.e., daemon) application in the background.

Any insight is appreciated.

Archived