trouble in Retrospect. Internal consistency check

I am running the most recent version of Retrospect 5.0.238 Server for Mac on OS X 10.1.5.

We are still having the following error which first surfaced with 5.0.205

Trouble in Retrospect

Internal Consistency Check failed:assertion check at elem.c-822

Each time it is the same error. Sometimes days go by in backup server mode before we get this sometimes not.

I have previously removed the preferences and redone everything, this obviously has not solved the issue.

Can anyone help?

regards

Rob

In reply to:

We are still having the following error which first surfaced with 5.0.205

Going back to your previous posts with this subject I find no specific information about the computer(s) you're using with Retrospect.

You should provide a detailed and complete description of your setup for the best chance of someone noticing what might be the cause of this.

Dave

Sorry for the earlier brief post: here are the details of our setup:

Retrospect Server version 5.0.238

Mac OS 10.1.5 with all software updates.

PowerMac G3(blue and white) 350Mhz with 256Mb Ram

Autoloader is a Quantum DLT4500 running through an Adaptec 2930 SCSI card

Anymore info I should provide?

regards

Rob

Just wanted to post my experiences too.

I get the same error message every week or so on my system. When it happens, my only option is to Quit Retrospect and followup with a forced reboot. I've not been able to establish a pattern of behavior as the error occurs randomly and the machine runs fine the rest of the time(24/7).

Retrospect is the only application running on the computer as it is a dedicated backup server. A half-dozen Win98 machines, a half-dozen OS X machines, and 5 dozen OS 9 machines make up the client base.

After the error occurs and the system is rebooted, the operations log shows :

System clock and tick timer appear inconsistent, code 2.

Dates, times, and statistics may be incorrect.

Internal consistency check failed.

Assertion check at "elem.c-822"

My machine:

PowerMac G3(Blue and White)/350 with 320MB

MacOS 9.2.2

Apple BTO/Adaptec 3950 SCSI card

Sony AIT-2 tape drive

Retrospect 5.0.238 with Driver Update 3.1

The common denominator here looks like the blue and white G3. Same motherboards and CPUs. May be a clue?

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the same thing. OS 10.2.2, Retro 5.0.238, driver update 3.2.104

B&W G3 with Initio Miles U2W SCSI card and AIT-2 (Sony SX500C on a MaxOptix 8-Pak autoloader).

It worked vaguely okay for the first week and yesterday died during the night with elem.c-822.

The log isn't very helpful as it shows the previous client successful and then this error; since it was running Backup Server and scheduled scripts I can't even tell what client it was hitting, let alone what step it was trying to do. It would be nice to get more data in the logs.

I'm beginning to be deeply concerned about Retrospect as a backup solution. By "vaguely okay" I mean that we are still plagued with:

a) the well-known ASIP server crashing problem,

B) an error -43 problem that's probably Unicode related but we're still digging (and of course this is a bug; it's just wrong for backup not to handle filenames that are legitimate in the os), and

c) and an error -127 problem on a mounted volume backup that we're still digging on but the first-pass troubleshooting has turned up nothing (we have to mount the volume because it's the ASIP server that's crashing, see (a).

And to add insult to injury, during a restore yesterday it couldn't load the tape it wanted in the loader, even though it showed the right tape as present in the pop-up and all I had to do was pick it in the list. That's just silly.

• 3 months later...

Another user with the same failures. Dual 1Ghz xServe 1.5 GB RAM VXA-1 backup on firewire interface. I have had this problem occur multiple times, all on 10.2.x we are currently on 10.2.4 (my upgrades are always done my a format, clean base install, Combination install. Never incremental.)

I have never had this problem get better. The only way I have had to get it to go away was to remove all vestiges of Retrospect including backup sets etc, clean install and then it would work for a couple of months. I am pissed at the moment because it has only been a couple of weeks.

I would really like a solution, I am wasting too much time reinstalling Retrospect. I am using 5.238 with driver update 3.4.103.

• 1 month later...

Archived