FYI - Conflict With Acronis Software

RVirtue

For the information of Dantz Retrospect v6 users who may also be using (or trying to use) some of the software published by Acronis (PartitionExpert, TrueImage, etc.) there is a software conflict which, in my own case, caused system reboot problems. Rather than re-writing all of the details here, I hope I may be forgiven for simply posting below a copy of my most recent message to the Acronis support team. (Yes, I know I'm lazy but I think it tells the full story OK.)

Sent: November 11, 2002 04:18

To: Acronis Support Team

Cc: Dennis Dementiev

Subject: RE: Win2k Restart Fails After TrueImage Installation - PROBLEM SOLVED

Hello Max,

Yes, you are right. And, as I promissed Dennis, I am passing along the final results of my own investigations for your information

The problem was not a hardware conflict as I originally thought it might be. Instead, it is a software incompatibility problem. After some lengthy "trial and error" efforts, I have finally arrived at a firm conclusion that the conflict is between Acronis TrueImage version 6 and Dantz Development Corporation's Retrospect version 6 for Windows. More specifically, the Acronis snapman and timounter filters conflict with the Dantz Retrospect open file filter (ROFF.SYS). In my case, when both were loaded from the Windows 2000 registry, it resulted in the consistent failure of system restarts ("warm reboots").

To assist you, in case you may wish to confirm the problem yourself, I am attaching a ZIP file (DR_ROFF.ZIP) containing the relevant registry entries for the Dantz ROFF service. However, I have not included the actual ROFF.SYS file as I don't think that would be proper for me to do. I am sure that, if you contact your counterparts at Dantz directly, they will be pleased to work with you in finding a mutually satisfactory solution. It may be as simple as adding an appropriate entry under the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\roff\Parameters] exclusion list. In my own case, I simply removed Retrospect from my system. But I expect that you will want to try to resolve this software conflict in order to avoid future problems for your potential customers who are Retrospect users and who may want to compare both products for themselves on their own systems.

With regard to your reply to the suggestions in my original message, I don't think I'm alone in saying that I do NOT want yet ANOTHER single-program scheduler running on my system. I just want to be able to use a scheduler that I already have (the one built into Win2K in my case) to run TrueImage in "unattended" mode. So PLEASE, Max (and Dennis too), tell your developers that if they really feel that they must provide a scheduler applet for TrueImage, make it one that can be disabled in favour of using command line switches with a different scheduler.

Best regards,

Richard Virtue.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived