Error in copying phase

ng555

Hi,

I downloaded Express yesterday and went through the wizard that comes up when Express is first opened up, to do a complete backup. Everything went without a hitch during the backup phase. I'm using CD/R media. My CD/RW drive is supported. When the backup got to the copying phase and I had to re-insert the cds, all went smooth until the 5th of 5 cds and I got an error. Following is the log of the backup:

+ Retrospect Express version 5.6.132

Launched at 01/26/2002 10:57 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 2.6.106

Quit at 01/26/2002 10:59 PM

Launched at 01/27/2002 12:08 AM

Quit at 01/27/2002 12:08 AM

Launched at 01/27/2002 4:09 AM

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 01/27/2002 4:55 AM

To backup set Backup Set A 1-26-02...

- 01/27/2002 4:55:57 AM: Copying Drive C (C:)

File "C:\GOBACKIO.BIN": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

01/27/2002 5:52:15 AM: Snapshot stored, 9,112 KB

01/27/2002 5:52:27 AM: Comparing Drive C (C:)

Trouble reading: "Backup Set A 1-26-02" (20), error -100 (device rejected command)

01/27/2002 8:06:01 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 1944 files, 248.7 MB

Completed: 15333 files, 2.8 GB, with 8% compression

Performance: 70.1 MB/minute (73.6 copy, 66.7 compare)

Duration: 03:10:05 (01:46:45 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 01/27/2002 8:06 AM

I have GoBack software, which I didn't disable and I'm thinking maybe I should have disabled it?? If that is the case, is there any way to fix this without starting all over. Can I get to the copying phase for the last cd and try again with GoBack disabled. I've checked the help and knowledge base. If the answer is there, I don't know enough to find it.

Any help would be appreciated. This seems like a great product. I've tried using other software for backup and had numerous problems.

Thanks,

Nancy

There are two errors here, and they aren't actually related.

1. The -1020 error. This is a result of GoBack being active, sice the operating system keeps that file open. Disabling GoBack will prevent this problem.

2. The second error, -100 (device rejected command), is returned from your drive and may indicate a problem with your media, your drive, or the communication to that drive.

Try running a verification from Tools -> Verify (at the Retrospect main directory). Do you get the same error? If so, try some device troubleshooting. It could just be a bad CD, it could be that your drive doesn't like the brand of CD, or it could be a hardware problem. Search the Knowledgebase for error 100 for detailed troubleshooting steps that apply to your configuration:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Irena:

Thank you for your reply. I had 5 cds in the backup. I did as you suggested and ran a verification from tools. The first 4 cds were okay. The fifth, where the error occurred, was not.They are all the same brand of cd, which I've used often with my cd/rw drive and not had problems. Maybe it was just a bad cd out of the bunch. Following is the error log:

+ Executing Verify at 01/29/2002 8:17 AM

To backup set Backup Set A 1-26-02...

Trouble reading: "5-Backup Set A 1-26-02" (20), error -100 (device rejected command)

1,944 files were not verified

01/29/2002 9:22:17 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 1944 files, 178.8 MB

Completed: 15333 files, 2.6 GB

Performance: 66.4 MB/minute

Duration: 01:04:33 (00:25:16 idle/loading/preparing)

I also checked the knowledge base and performed the following check:

If you are running Windows 95, 98, or ME, Retrospect requires ASPI to communicate with your device. Ensure that this utility is properly installed by running ASPICHK (in the Retrospect Program Files folder). Check that ASPI is "green" and all components are at version 4.60. If not, try a reinstall (ASPIINST.exe). If you still have problems, consult the Retrospect User's Guide or Adaptec's website.

All checked out okay.

I think the hardware and software is okay. My question is this:

If I back up again, will it be incremental, and only pick up the items that didn't complete and items changed since last backup? The media used was cd/r, not cd/rw, so I need to re-do the 5th cd. Could you point me in the right direction? And I will disable GoBack this time!

Thanks,

Nancy

Go to Configure: Backup Sets, double-click your backup set and go to the members tab. There, select the 5th CD and mark it as missing.

Next time you do a backup, Retrospect will try and copy and files that were on that 5th CD again, and once it has your backup will pick up where it left off.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Irena:

Thanks so much! I followed your instructions and everything worked great this time. I did have a little trouble figuring out burning the ISO image to cd as the final step for disaster recovery. It saved the image in my documents as "Restore Drive C" and when I opened it, it brought up my CD Creator software and I burned it to CD, so I'm assuming this was the right file. It did warn in the instructions to verify my computer will boot from cd. Since I'm not familiar or comfortable with BIOS, can you tell me what steps I need to take to determine this?

So far, I am impressed with this program. Any problems have been operator (me) inexperience!

Thanks,

Nancy

To check that you can boot from a CD, first just try it - put the CD in the tray and restart your computer. If you restart and get a message telling you that you are in Retrospect disaster recovery, you know the CD can boot your computer. At this point, just quit the disaster recovery and restart your computer normally.

If this doesn't work, try booting from a Windows CD or other bootable CD.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Irena:

Thank you for your continued help. I did have to change the bios to boot from cd first, but all went well and when I started up with the disaster recovery cd inserted, all went well. Fortunately, I don't need the recovery now, but know I probably will at some point. I do plan on registering this software.

Nancy

Archived