Duplicate

I am trying to duplicate several folders (subvolumes) that are spread out over my hard drive to a Peerless external disk. I am trying to do a noon and midnight daily backup. Is there any way to duplicate multiple subvolumes in a single script. I have seven separate folders that I am trying to duplicate, that makes 7 scripts for the noon backup and seven scripts for the midnight backup. I don't know if scripts can run simultaneously so I am staggering them over several hours. 14 scripts with staggered times is a bit messy. I would like to clean this up with 1 script for each backup time. Is there a way to add discontinuous subvolumes to a single duplicate script? I know that this can be done in a standard backup, but that procedure does not seem to work for duplicates. I have been using Synchronizer from Juul & Stejle Software and they can dup multiple discontinuopus folders, but they don't have an automated run feature.

Duplicates are always a 1-to-1 operation: one source to one destination. Don't worry about staggering the scripts though; schedule the first 7 to run at the same time, and Retrospect will launch the one that comes first alphabetically and then queue the rest to run in order.

You could also "cheat" and do a full duplicate of the whole drive using a selector to copy only the 7 folders you're interested in. Example: if you're on a Mac, label the 7 source folders as "Hot" in the Finder. Then create a single duplicate script to duplicate your hard drive to the Peerless drive (or a folder on the Peerless drive), and use the Hot Items selector. If you're in Windows, you'll need to have Desktop or better, and create a script that gets those folders based on path.

If you do choose to use a custom selector, remember to use the Check Selector feature to make sure you're getting what you want to get.

Hope this helps!

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Archived