multiple network cards on XP

r0l0e

hello everone, i'm sure this has been ask before but i couldn't find it in search.

Gateway (computer name, not company): WinXP running ICS

NIC 1: CNET --> cable modem

NIC 2: AOPEN --> local network: 192.168.0.1

rig 2: WinXP

NIC 1: local network: 192.168.0.2

i have retrospect workgroup setup on RIG 2 and the client setup on the gateway rig. the problem is when rig 2 tries to access the gateway unit (client), it will not try to connect on NIC 2. it will alsways try to connect on NIC 1. the problem here is that the IP addy on NIC 1 on the Gateway rig is dynamic and every time the IP addy changes on the Gateway, i have to change the access IP on RIG 2 running the backup.

now i have tried to change the setting in NIC 2 on the Gateway's network properties but since i'm running ICS, XP WILL NOT let me change the setting on NIC 2.

is there a way around this problem?

thanks, ®

You can tell the Retrospect client which NIC to bind to using a quick registry edit:

BindListener Instructions:

You must be using NT/2000/XP and want to force the client to bind to a FIXED address.

1. Use the services control panel to halt the Retrospect Client service.

2. In Regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dantz\Client\5.0

3. Change the BindListener value from "0.0.0.0" to the desired address.

4. Start the client service, open the control panel & verify the status is Ready or Waiting for first access.

thanks Irena, it worked like you said it would. i hope future versions would let us choose which network card we would like to run on instead of having to go into the registry. i'm not a programmer, but i don't think it would be that hard to include in the options properties.

all in all, i think this product works very well and i feel at ease knowing that i have achive copies of all documents and raw mail on my mail server.

thanks a bunch,

r0l0e

Archived