error -43 - lots of them!

I am having problems backing up some Windows clients from Retrospect running on a Macintosh (OS9). I am getting a lot of -43 errors returned in the log. I have read somewhere that it is down to the way that the files are recognised on a Mac (or something like that..). I was wondering if anybody had experienced this problem and found a work around?

Any help appreciated.

Unlike files on Windows volumes, many Macintosh files are made up of two parts, called forks: one fork includes data and the other includes resources. When Retrospect copies a dual-fork Macintosh file to a Windows client volume, it takes the following steps to separate the forks into different files.

- It stores the data fork in a new file, which has the same name as the original file.

- It creates a new folder named Resource.Frk, which is hidden and resides in the same folder path as the data fork file.

- It stores the resource fork in a new file which resides in the Resource.Frk folder and has the same name as the original file.

- It tracks fork-separated files in a hidden file named Finder.Dat, which resides in the same folder path as the data fork file.

If you move one of these Macintosh files on a Windows computer, it is unusable unless you also move the other files and folder. When you use a Retrospect Browser to view a Windows client volume containing these split Macintosh files, only a single file appears. When viewed from Windows, the extra files appear (unless Windows is set to hide hidden files). When you back up the files to a backup set or duplicate them to a Macintosh volume, Retrospect integrates them into the single original file.

Example:

The "my data" directory contains 10 files plus 1 finder.dat file.

If I back up the "my data" directory, Retrospect will copy all 10 files successfully (including the Macintosh attributes stored in the finder.dat).

If I move the 10 files to a different location on my hard disk, but leave the finder.dat inside the otherwise empty "my data" folder, then Retrospect will run into a problem. Retrospect scans the folder called "my data". The finder.dat file tells Retrospect to look for the 10 corresponding files, but because they are no longer in the same directory as the finder.dat, you get a -43 error.

The solution is to always keep the finder.dat with the original data, or delete the finder.dat.

If you choose to delete the finder.dat file, then you can not return the file to a Macintosh without losing Mac specific properties.

This is one reason our user's guide reads:

If you move one of these Macintosh files on a Windows computer, also move the Finder.Dat file with it...

Thanks for the reply Mayoff. I read the FAQ on the website too but it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me (sorry!..).

You say the problem is the file finder.dat which is created by Retrospect when it backs up the files to a backup set (is this right?). If the person using the Windows client moves files without moving finder.dat (highly likely as our windows users will have no idea what a finder.dat file is) then Retrospect reports a -43 error. Is there a better solution than me going on each Windows client and putting finder.dat files back in their proper places?...

Does the type of backup matter? maybe I should be using a recycle backup rather than a normal backup?

yours confused,

Phil

Is it safe to delete ALL copies of Finder.dat on the windows clients, or should I just delete it from the directories that are producing errors? It would be easier to delete ALL as I have around 1200 -43 errors from the Windows clients on our network.

Archived