7.6 Open File Backup - Locked Range error on PST files

Hey all,

I recently purchased the Open File upgrade but haven't been able to get it to work reliably, I'm constantly getting -1111(Locked range conflict) errors. I saw others were having this issue with 7.7 but I didn't see a fix for 7.6.

I've disabled "Protect multi-volume datasets" and enabled "Force backup of Outlook data" but the problems remain. Here is a sampling of the errors (it happens to about 16 PST files, every workstation with Outlook open).

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\akp\My Documents\archive.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\akp\My Documents\Outlook.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\brt\My Documents\archive.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\brt\My Documents\Outlook.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

I've checked the event viewer on the server that hosts all these files and VSS is enabled and appears to be functioning correctly.

I purchased this multi-server upgrade for the specific purpose of backing up open PST files, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm running 2 copies of Retrospect (multiserver license), one in LA and one in Chicago, on Win Server 2003 machines. Retrospect version: 7.6 Multiserver 7.6.123 / Driver update and hotfix 7.6.2.101.

Both are having the same problem.

If there is any further information I can provide to resolve this please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Edited by Guest
edited to add "Open File" to subject

Hi Wayne,

The option you enabled would not help with this error, the locked range conflict error means that part of the file is still open and this happens a lot with .pst files(even if you have outlook closed). Usually the only way to get around this is to use open file backup or if you can get outlook to relinquish it's control on the portion it has open even though it is closed.

Nope, the only errors I'm getting are -1111 errors. Wait, there's 1 file with a Sharing violation in the middle.

Here's the full text from the last attempt last night:

+ Normal backup using UserDocs at 7/21/2010 1:00 AM (Execution unit 1)

To Backup Set UserDocs...

- 7/21/2010 1:00:00 AM: Copying UserDocs on Atdc02

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\akp\My Documents\archive.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\akp\My Documents\Outlook.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\brt\My Documents\archive.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\brt\My Documents\Outlook.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\cef\archive.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\cef\Outlook\archive.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\cef\Outlook\Outlook.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\ces\archive.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\fsh\My Documents\Booth\Microeconomics\~Lectures - pre Midterm.pptx": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\gdw\Outlook.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\jtm\My Documents\archive.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\jtm\My Documents\Outlook\Outlook.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\jtm\My Documents\Outlook\Personal Folders.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\krk\Personal Folders(2).pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\krk\My Documents\Outlook\Outlook.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\krk\My Documents\Outlook\Personal Folders(1).pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\lcj\My Documents\outlook\archive.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\lcj\My Documents\outlook\Personal Folders(1).pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\rmn\My Documents\outlook\Outlook.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\vmm\My Documents\archive.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

File "\\ATDC02\UserDocs\vmm\My Documents\Outlook.pst": can't read, error -1111 (locked range conflict)

7/21/2010 1:16:20 AM: Snapshot stored, 13.2 MB

7/21/2010 1:16:24 AM: Comparing UserDocs on Atdc02

7/21/2010 1:30:24 AM: 21 execution errors

Completed: 34 files, 7.2 GB

Performance: 520.1 MB/minute (514.6 copy, 526.3 compare)

Duration: 00:30:24 (00:02:07 idle/loading/preparing)

We have your setup exactly: Windows 2003 server, 7.6.123 and rdu 7.6.2.101.

However, Open File backup works fine here with Outlook files.

On your setup, how come a single client has 16 Outlook files open? We only have one per client.

How much free space is there on the Retrospect server's C: drive?

How much free space is there on the client's C: drive?

How large are all the 16 .pst files together?

I haven't used Open File extensively but it can require a bit of tuning.

It requires a reasonable amount of free space on the volume to allow for the snapshots, there is also a "Disk Inactivity" threshold which you may need to adjust.

Check the tips in the manual "Working with Open Files".

See these KB Articles

This one has a length discussion on open file issues.

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=5595&r=0.1422235

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=6388&r=0.8234064

Also on the support site is a comprehensive list of errors with links to some solutions for them

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/_index1.asp?tab=opt2&r=0.9851583

Hope this helps

You've enabled Open file backup on your script, right?

ie.

9ec9b734.png

The next problem you're going to see if that whenever Outlook opens up it 'touches' all the attached PST files on each machine, which Retrospect sees as being a changed file. THis results in ALL Outlook connected PST files being backed up, even if they haven't been modified in many years.

I had to change our IT policy here that all PST files should be detached from Outlook by default, only link back up when needed, which has saved an awful lot of client thrashing and backup set space..

Once disconnect via data management Outlook can no longer 'touch' them, so Retrospect won't copy them again..

Lennart: To me it looks like their office uses hot-desking, so one machine is used for many users via roaming profiles (which would explain why the PST files are being duplicated around).

I'd personally want all PST files put on an external server (H: home drive maybe) so a 1GB+ archive file wouldn't need to be duplicated across the network.

Rich

Edited by Guest

Hey guys,

Wow, glad to see so many responses this morning! Here's a bit more about my setup (I inherited it but am open to suggestions on changing it):

Everyone's PST file is stored on a central server in each office, ATDC02 in Chicago, ATDC01 in L.A. They are stored in a folder called UserDocs, with each user having their own subfolder where the PST file gets kept. The client is installed on ATDC02, which is why we see 16 PST files for that one.

I think you guys are onto something with the I/O and other factors.. these are domain controllers and they serve as DNS/WINS servers, plus a range of other functions.

It would be quite a change but I do have an unlimited clients license, should I be thinking of decentralizing our setup? Putting everyone's PST back onto their local machine, install the Retrospect client on each and redo the scripts to backup each workstation instead? If I tell management it will speed up their email experience I can get their support for it.

I've tried to be careful about leaving enough storage on ATDC01 and ATDC02, with about 15 GB free and I've set VSS to use up to 10 GB.

I just got in and haven't checked any logs for today, after I do that I'll re-read your responses and see if I can provide more info.

Again, all of your help is greatly appreciated!

-Wayne

• 2 years later...