Retrospect 8 on PPC Mac?

pbartoli

Engine and console can run on a PowerPC

Providing that any PPC running Retrospect engine has at least Mac OS 10.4.11 or Mac OS 10.5.5 or later, and providing that any PPC running Retrospect console has at least Mac OS 10.5.5 or later. At least, that according to the System Requirements in the Retrospect 8 Read me:

Retrospect 8 Read Me

So, if the engine and console are both to run on the same PPC, that PPC must be running Mac OS 10.5.5 or later.

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

I finally made up my mind to install Retrospect Engine on a Intel OSX 10.5 Mac, and it works now!

EMC's is an unfair advertising... saying it works on 10.4.11.

Just say it's so slow and unreliable that it pratically doesn't work for a critical job as a backup!!

Quite right to pinpoint this!

Efficiency and technically working are different.

This is a link to a Knowledge Base Article.

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=9707&p=2

We upgrade to Retrospect 8.1 because it was compatible with PowerPc G5 has state on the system requirement of the 8.1 version (2010-March-17);

" Retrospect 8 console (manages the engine)

Intel or Power PC G4 or G5 processor

Mac OS X 10.5.5 or later..."

" Retrospect 8 engine (Minimum requirements)(performs the backups and restores)

Intel processor, Power PC G5 processor, or dual Power PC G4 processors running at 867 MHz or faster

Mac OS X 10.4.11 or 10.5.5 or later..."

We spend a lot of time to figure out why the very poor speed of it, the inabilities to run backup and so on. Useless for us.

But in the Knowledge Base we found (undated, very good for confusion...);

" For the initial release of Retrospect 8, the Retrospect console and engine do not run on PowerPC machines; this ability will be added in a future update."

Our organisation feel abuse by this situation.

I wish I read those many complaints about the efficiency of R 8.1 on PPC before upgrading. The time spend on this problem is almost the price of an Intel Mac Mini.

This give to the "system minimum requirement" the real direction of a solution to the useless of running it on PPC: full ahead on Intel machines run for the futur! ;-)

But in the Knowledge Base we found (undated, very good for confusion...);

" For the [color:red]initial release of Retrospect 8[/color], the Retrospect console and engine do not run on PowerPC machines; this ability will be added in a future update."

That knowledgebase article clearly referred to the [color:red]initial release[/color] of Retrospect 8 (i.e., Retrospect 8.0). The product is now past that point, and is now at Retrospect 8.1.626. Here are the release notes with the version history and bugfix list:

Retrospect 8 Release Notes

Yes, there still are many bugs. The product is not perfect. A major bugfix release is expected within the next month or two.

I wish I read those many complaints about the efficiency of R 8.1 on PPC before upgrading. The time spend on this problem is almost the price of an Intel Mac Mini.

That's your fault for not doing your homework.

Russ