already backed up files are copied again and again

I used to make my backup with retrospect 6.1.126, using a script - duplicate from disc 1 to disc 2, just to not to have to make a restore if something happens to my Data. There are several folders on disc 1, all together about 40 GB. After starting the script (doesn´t matter if all data or all coresponding data will be replaced) disc 2 looks like disc 1, all the same. But when I now start again the script right after it finnished the first time, it will delete one (ore more) folders on disk 2 and copying the data again. This folder is quiet old, the data is not changed since weeks, but always, when I start the script, it will be deleted and copied again. It´s time consuming to wait all day for another 25 GB to be copied even if I only added about 1 GB of new Data...

Updateing to version 6.1.230 didn´t help.

I use a MacPro, Intel, MacOS 10.5.8

ok ...

I would like not to have too many backup programms ...

So maybe I have to live with it or do another kind of Backup ....

Sad, copying is such a nice way of quick backup ..

Copying is not a backup because it does not preserve version information. Also, if the original file becomes corrupted or accidentally changed, then those errors are propagated to the copy. Again, not a backup. Additionally, if you are configured for "syncing" (such that the destination matches the source), then deleted files on the source will be lost on the destination. Again, not a backup.

Also, if you are copying to a local drive and are not taking it offsite, then you are vulnerable to fire, etc. Been there, done that. Offsite backup saved us, no data lost.

Retrospect's strength is backup, not copying.

Russ

• 4 months later...
A "Duplicate" isn't one of Retrospect's strong functions.

Well, I paid for all the functions. I expect them to work. Besides, I have several different duplicate scripts and only one of them doesn't work. I would like some support from Retrospect on what I can change to get this to work correctly.

If you want support from Roxio Retrospect, you'll need to call them (and have your credit card ready). This is a peer-to-peer forum, and we users simply try to help one another based on our own knowledge and experience with the product.

You don't give us any description of your problem. If your post was more than a rant and you want help from this group, we'll need a bit more information about your setup (software and hardware) and some details about the scripts that work and don't work.