Mailbox backup not working

I have exchange 2007 sp2 installed on a 2008 Server. I have retrospect installed on a Windows 2003 server. I have installed all of the needed components:

Installed the backup agent

Installed Messaging API and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1

Installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

I am able to connect to the First and Second Storage groups with the backup server. But when I connect to the Exchange Mailboxes it asks for authentication and it fails. The RBU account does have a mailbox, it is not hidden from gal, it is activated and have sent and received emails from the account. The RBU account can open all of the other users accounts and have tested it. I performed the following commands in exchange to give it the access rights it needs.

Get-MailboxDatabase -identity "Mailbox Database" | Add-ADPermission -user Retrospect -ExtendedRights Receive-As, Send-As

Get-Mailbox | add-ADPermission -User "Retrospect" -ExtendedRights Receive-As

Get-Mailbox | add-ADPermission -User "Retrospect" -ExtendedRights Send-As

I have tried installing retrospect on the exchange server and I am getting the same issue, yes I followed the kb article perfectly. Need help, found many people posting same problem none of the solutions worked for me. Tech support has not helped me either.

I was able to solve my problem. It seems that when retrospect is installed on a 32 bit server and exchange is installed on a 2008 64 bit server then the host file must be edited because the 64 bit server defaults to ipv6. I had it set to ipv4 but it still couldn't recognize it. This is in the knowledgebase article, and I am betting that a lot of people that have this issue is caused by this. I didn't do it when I read the article because I was using IPv4 and didn't think it applied to me. But obviously it does. To make this change just comment out the entry the article says to and then add two lines...

ipaddress hostname

ipaddress fqdn

You will not even have to reboot your exchange server after this change.