OS vs Device Compatibility

Hi Guys,

I should know better, but I decided to have a go at XP Pro instead of sticking to a stable W2K system. Anyway I took appropriate precautions and now have retreated back to W2K as XP Pro appears to be a whole world of pain with no gain.

From a Retrospect 6.0 point of view why would backups to my Ricoh MP7200A CDRW fail completely under XP Pro?

The Ricoh MP7200A CDRW is a qualified drive and I only use the recommended media, but under XP Pro I get nothing but errors on compare ... reports that the media is bad or the device needs cleaning.

After restoring my W2K configuration and running the same backups to the same media all is well again. Does this mean XP has different drivers for the Ricoh MP7200A CDRW which affect its compatibility with Retrospect?

I even tried using the new "feature" to build a custom driver ... it reported success, but the next backup was a complete failure.

Before returning to W2K I replaced the Ricoh MP7200A with a Sony CRX175A1 and a backup to it worked fine. The backup burned in the Sony was even verified as ok in the Ricoh. Hence its a write problem not a read problem.

Is it necessary to qualify drives against OS as well as media?

Cheers, Malcolm

At the time I didn't think to check for updated drivers as I understood that Retrospect used its own drivers.

I appreciate that Retrospect uses different burner capabilities, but the Ricoh works fine with Roxio Easy CD Creator.

I have subsequently visited the Ricoh web site and it states that no drivers are necessary. I have posted a message to Ricoh Tech Support along the same lines as I posted here.

Archived