Can't Access Backup Set - error 641

ianthomson

I am running Retrospect Express HD V2.5.125 on Windows Vista.

Backups have been running ok since the external hard drive was installed a couple of months ago ... until yesterday.

I think I may have shut the PC down while it was doing a backup as the next day it told me that the backup had not completed properly and mentioned "user request". I assumed it would just simply backup normally the next time.

However, today, I got an error message saying that yesterday's backup also failed.

So, i asked it to "backup now" and it came up with this error ....

Normal backup using DirectBackup at 20/09/2009 10:27

Can't access Backup Set OSCAR, error -641 (chunk checksum didn't match)

20/09/2009 10:27:48: Execution incomplete

I have tried to find this error message in the manuals and support forums etc but I'm sorry to say that I can't make head or tail of what I read there. I have read some things that suggest that there might be a currupt file somewhere ... but I don't really understand what file or where or what to do about it. Or, in fact, whether that really is the problem.

Could somebody please put me out of my misery with some non-techo info on what the error message is actually trying to tell me and what I need to do about it.

Many thanks in advance!!!

Ian