can't open retro.config, error-24205 HELP!!!

I just received an the following error when trying to open Retrospect 6.1 on my OSX server: "Can't Open Retro.Config(6) error-24205 chunk file damage during save"

From other topics I moved the Retrospect folder for /Library/Preferences to my desktop and rebuild that folder when I opened Retrospect back up again. I now have lost my scripts and backup catalogs. How am I able to import those back in? Is there anyway to do this relatively painlessly? I appreciate any and all help

-Ben

However I seem to have lost all my scripts. Is there a way to get those back from my old config file??

Um, this is getting a bit repetitious. Upthread I gave the answer to this question:

Yes, restore the Retro.Config(6) file from a backup.

Restore it to some place safe, then quit Retrospect, then move the restored old file to /Library/Preferences/Retrospect

Actually, the name is "Retro.Config (6.0)", not the name you gave, but I figured that was just a typo of yours in your original problem statement.

When you restart Retrospect, all should be better.

Russ

Surely you have a good copy in an older snapshot. Don't give up that easily. Use the hand-crafted one you used to get going (without scripts), fire up Retrospect, add an older snapshot for restore, restore the file from that.

It's not "digging through backups" for a good copy. You know it was working at some point in the past. Just pick a date around then, add snapshot, restore the file from that.

It's really not that hard. This is one of the things that Retrospect makes easy.

Russ

• 4 months later...

I have almost the same problem, when I start Retrospect 6.1 I get the error "Retro.config (6.0) is irreparably damaged. Please delete or replace it." The file now does not exist on my preferences folder and I don't understand how to open a Retrospect backup without that file to retrieve an older version of the retro.config file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

I have almost the same problem, when I start Retrospect 6.1 I get the error "Retro.config (6.0) is irreparably damaged. Please delete or replace it."

No, your problem is not the same, and you haven't provided any configuration information so that you can be helped. At a minimum, needed information is:

(1) Version of Mac OS X you are using (10.x.x)

(2) Flavor of Mac OS X you are using (server or non-server)

(3) Version of Retrospect 6.1 you are using (6.1.x)

(4) Version of Retrospect Driver Update (x.x.x.x) you are using

The file now does not exist on my preferences folder

In what folder are you looking? The config file should be in

/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/

and I don't understand how to open a Retrospect backup without that file to retrieve an older version of the retro.config file.

If that file is missing (if it's damaged, then move it to the Desktop with Retrospect not running), and Retrospect will recreate it on launch and will ask you for your license code, etc. Enter that, and you will be up and running. Then, restore that file from an older backup (or recreate all preferences, scripts, etc., from scratch).

Russ

Russ

Thanks for your help.

(1) Version of Mac OS X you are using (10.x.x)

(2) Flavor of Mac OS X you are using (server or non-server)

Non Server, the disk says "Backup"

The file now does not exist in my preferences folder

In what folder are you looking? The config file should be in

/Library/Preferences/Retrospect

The folder Retrospect does now not exist in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect the folder Retrospect does not exist in preferences and the file retro.config does not exist on my machine.

I created a new Retrospect folder in preferences and tried to restart but still have the same error.

The folder Retrospect does now not exist in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect the folder Retrospect does not exist in preferences and the file retro.config does not exist on my machine.

You are almost certainly looking in the wrong place, because if that file and folder did not exist, Retrospect would create it when it was launched. (I suspect you are trying to find it in /Users/[your_username]/Library/Preferences/.)

In Finder, highlight your boot hard drive volume. You should then see listed such folders as "Applications," "System," and "Users" in addition to "Library." It is this root-level Library folder that you want to look in.

Glad you were able to find the Preferences folder, exactly where I said it would be.

Your versions of Retrospect 6.1 and RDU are not the most recent ones, and there may be a bugfix in Retrospect 6.1.230 that fixes the underlying cause of your config file corruption. I suggest that you update. The free update is here:

Retrospect 6.1 updates

Russ