Confused and needing help: file extension name-list might help

bmwill

Hi Forum users

I am a Retrospect 8.1 (150) user with 3 clients: My MacBook, a G4 and a PC, and the MacBook running the engine and console. I'm trying to back up to two WesternBooks, a fat-formatted for the PC, and a second, HFS formatted for the Macs.

And I am getting completely confused about what I've ended up storing where. In spite of reading guides and watching videos.... I think the script-assistant managed to trick me into storing the backup of the Mac G4 on my MacBook instead of on the Western Digital hard drive and I am frustrated.

I think a list of Retrospect-extensions would help me enormously - but I cannot find them, and Google searching the Forum and Retro-Talk is no help...

I'd much appreciate help.

- and, if I locate the catalog and backup, can I just finder-transfer them to where I want them for Retrospect to use in the future, or will I have to delete and use the - loooong - time to repeat the backup?

The catalog should be in the library/.../Retrospect/catalog folder? and the backup on the external disks?

bmw

-rbd files....

I searched for them. Got this:

(does anyone know and understand all/some of these? This is just stuff om My MacBook (as I understand it - but, heck, I'm ready to be informed!))

genefilter.rdb

DBI.rdb

affyQCReport.rdb

RColorBrewer.rdb

GO.db.rdb

splines.rdb

affydata.rdb

tcltk.rdb

boot.rdb

class.rdb

gcrma.rdb

Rdata.rdb

mgu74bv2cdf.rdb

Rdata.rdb

limma.rdb

IRanges.rdb

siggenes.rdb

base.rdb

Category.rdb

mgu74a.db.rdb

Rdata.rdb

Biobase.rdb

nlme.rdb

rpart.rdb

globaltest.rdb

geneplotter.rdb

codetools.rdb

graphics.rdb

affyPLM.rdb

MASS.rdb

utils.rdb

Rdata.rdb

simpleaffy.rdb

lattice.rdb

affyio.rdb

Rdata.rdb

methods.rdb

annotate.rdb

vsn.rdb

stats4.rdb

RBGL.rdb

Rdata.rdb

foreign.rdb

marray.rdb

XML.rdb

matchprobes.rdb

RSQLite.rdb

mgu74acdf.rdb

hgu133aprobe.rdb

hgu133a.db.rdb

grDevices.rdb

Rdata.rdb

annaffy.rdb

cluster.rdb

mgu74bv2probe.rdb

mgu74av2probe.rdb

mgu74av2.db.rdb

hgu95av2.db.rdb

ROC.rdb

mgu74av2cdf.rdb

DynDoc.rdb

AnnotationDbi.rdb

Biostrings.rdb

affy.rdb

makecdfenv.rdb

survival.rdb

stats.rdb

nnet.rdb

tools.rdb

Rdata.rdb

spatial.rdb

statmod.rdb

multtest.rdb

mgcv.rdb

tkWidgets.rdb

Matrix.rdb

edd.rdb

graph.rdb

mgu74b.db.rdb

KEGG.db.rdb

sma.rdb

widgetTools.rdb

hgu133acdf.rdb

GSEABase.rdb

Rdata.rdb

GOstats.rdb

xtable.rdb

KernSmooth.rdb

preprocessCore.rdb

grid.rdb

Actually folks, I almost understand - OK - recognize - mgu74bv2cdf.rdb. I don't understand why I do not have mgu74av2cdf.rdb or mgu74cv2cdf.rdb but for those, I'm up the creek anyhow....

- so I'm a bit of a quandary (more confusion) here...

- what might I move - should I move?

and where...

bmw

Edited by Guest
******* confusion...

I think the script-assistant managed to trick me into storing the backup of the Mac G4 on my MacBook instead of on the Western Digital hard drive...

Only you could know what choices you made when stepping through the Assistant. There's no trickery involved.

If you created a Disk Media Set, Retrospect will create a "Retrospect" folder at the root level of whatever volume you selected as a Member of that Backup Set.

Inside that folder will be another folder with the name of the Media Set itself (say, "Foo Backup")

And inside _that_ folder will be a folder named "1-Foo Backup"

Inside that folder will be a collection of files named something such as AA000000.rdb and AA000001.rdb etc. Each of these files will be 600 MB or less in size.

To move a Disk Media Set from one volume to another you'll need to move the "Foo Backup" folder to a new location, and then, as Robin suggests, rebuild your Catalog so Retrospect is aware of the new configuration.

If you created a File Media Set all you have to do is move the two files ("Foo" and "Foo.cat") to a new location.

There's no trickery involved.

Sorry. I meant I didn't pay enough attention...

("Foo" and "Foo.cat") to a new location.

Excellent. Thanks. I did 'File Media Set' since it is Mac-to-Mac on a HFS-formatted disk and files then can be larger than 4 Gb.

So the catalog bears a .cat extension? And the "Foo" would be "Foo.rdb"?

To summarize my current understanding: The two files of a File Media Set can be at different locations, with f.ex. the catalog on the machine running the engine and the .rdb, which contains the backup, on the external hard disk; and doing a rebuild of the catalog will make Retrospect aware of all of these locations.

- I think there are still holes I need to fill: I have seen a red mark with a cross and believe this means that the 'catalog is missing' or some such. Will rebuilding catalog start with a search for it?

bmw

To summarize my current understanding: The two files of a File Media Set can be at different locations

Looks as if I've been living in the past!

It appears that a File Media Set is again a single unified file, the way a File Storage Set was in Retrospect 4.2 and a (small) File Backup Set could be in the first versions of 5.x.

I was able to move "File Media Set Foo.rbf" to a new location, Remove the original from the Media Set list, double-click the .rbf file to add it back to the Media Set list (with new location shown in Summary), Verify the Media Set and run a new backup to it.

Of course it took more then one try and lots of patience, but it finally did work.

Thanks, Dave.

It appears that my students inadvertently shut down the client computer during the backup, not having any clue that it was being backed up (first time - I neglected to tell anyone: my bad....)

Thus no files of any kind recognizable by me (server, engine) anywhere - cat, rdf, rdb...

Well. That is not true. I did have a file relating to this backup. Must be somewhere on the external drives that are not hooked up here with me right now 'cause I don't see it. (Weekend. Away from stuff).

And thus - Dave's recent contribution awaits follow-up.

So - I'll re-try on Monday.

I'll try to clean this up - with Dave's help perhaps... - once I get to the location and get it done.

Dave: Your efforts are _very much_ appreciated.

bmw

Edited by Guest
clarity and precision

...when stepping through the Assistant. There's no trickery involved.

- Sorry, Dave, now that I have initiated a second file media set backup of the client Mac, I beg to differ on the above.

Stepping through the assistant, it asks where the user wants to store the catalog.

Nothing on storing the backup-containing files

For those with experience of other versions, the catalog is a separate file from the backup itself, so the expectation is at least two files are generated, and that there will be a dialog for setting the destination of the second file. But it never comes.

In the assistant dialogs, there is nothing on destination; There is 'Catalog location'-'choose';

and there is 'Backup to the following media sets' - returning its name, but not a location.

Not till this is selected and the activity in progress does the word 'Destination' appear - in the activity overview; and bearing the name of the set, nothing on its location.

Maybe 'tricked' is a little harsh, but ...

bmw

PS. - and, right now, I am looking at the files

BMW-G4BackB.rbf.rfc

BMW-G4BackB.rbf

in the folder where I asked to store the catalog.

I'll return about that, one could be a temp.

bmw

It appears that a File Media Set is again a single unified file

The .rbf.rfc file disappeared as Retrospect reported sucessful backup - so that is a temporary file.

So, for a 'File Media Set', there is one file constituting a backup, it bears the extension .rbf and is located on the storage device selected when choosing the site for the catalog.

I now do not need to move the file anywhere - I still thank Dave for his showing us how it can be done, if needed.

My remaining uncertainty is the 'catalog'-concept, my understanding of it and how correct that understanding is, and whether, if I use different backup-devices, there will be a particular file that collects information on other files constituting that backup; and if yes, what such files are called. Dave suggested .cat?

The getting started guide says "Retrospect uses a Catalog file to keep track of the different generations of modified files in a Media Set. The Catalog lets you quickly search for files without having to actually search the backup media itself, which would be considerably slower."

To me, that suggests that there is a catalog file also for a file media set. Is it fused within the .rbf?

bmw

Edited by Guest
found Guide quote

Dave suggested .cat?

Disregard that; was a reference to Classic Retrospect and is not used in 8.x

For those with experience of other versions, the catalog is a separate file from the backup itself

No, those with experience of other (earlier) versions will remember how a File Storage Set used a single file.

My remaining uncertainty is the 'catalog'-concept, my understanding of it and how correct that understanding is

A File Media Set is different from all other Types of Media Sets; the Catalog and the Data live together in the same file. When the program Searches through a File Media Set's Snapshots, it's still using the Catalog portion of the single file, but you don't have the ability to have the data storage offline and still search through that data storage's content listings.