Express hanging up in Windows XP

coffeelover111

I have been trying to get my Windows XP laptop backed up for almost 3 months using Seagate travan 10-20 gig tape running express backup software. It starts out fine and the at any given point it will stop running. I have to force close the software because it will no longer respond. I have tried to go through and look for IRQ conflicts in the hardware setup screens, but when I attempt to look at the tape drive it will not let me because it locks up. Then I will have to reboot to get back to work. This is my first post but have sent a number of emails with no luck. I am going to go on a hunt for software that will work on my XP machine and my seagate tape drive and then I will be looking for a refund on this software that does not work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

You will need to download the 1.45 USB drivers from the Seagate site www.seagate.com for drive compatibility under Windows XP. The drive in the bundle you purchased was not XP compatible without updated Seagate drivers. Please see the Seagate site for details and instructions on updating these drivers.

If you continue to experience hangs, after updating the drivers, the following troubleshooting should help you isolate the cause of the problem:

Clean the drive with a cleaning cartridge.

Replace the USB cable that connects the tape drive to the computer. Plug the drive directly into the computer, not through a hub or docking station.

Update the USB drivers for your operating system or card.

Try connecting it to another port on the computer if available.

Try the device on another machine.

If you have implemented all of the preceding steps and get failures on multiple tapes after changing cables, tapes and computers, then the drive, being the only factor that has not changed, is the culprit--send it back to your vendor for repairs.

• 3 weeks later...

i had a similar problem on my xp pro workstation. i had additional symptoms of having windows update fail to install after a successful download, and i could not see the properties of some files / directories. i narrowed it down to the firewall software. i used zonealarm. when i turned off zonealarm (you have to also stop the zonealarm services from starting), retrospect worked. i replaced zonealarm with nortons security. i again had the same problem. i uninstalled norton, and retrospect worked again. good luck!

Archived