Disappearing client after second IP change...

I've been testing Retrospect 8 (8.1.148 on 10.5.6 Server) with a single client system (6.3.109, 10.5.6 Client) to see how well it will react to clients configured for DHCP and am running into a problem.

When I first add my client system as a source when it is configured for its static IP, the server console sees it just fine. Then, I change the client to configure using DHCP so it gets a different IP address, and when I click "Refresh" on the source list, its information and IP update correctly. I also mounted/unmounted a flash drive so the available volumes list would update and confirm successful communication.

However, when I switch the client system back to my static IP, clicking Refresh results in an eventual "client unavailable" message, and if I remove the source and try to re-add it, the client doesn't show up in the multicast or subnet broadcast sweeps until I restart the client system. I can still add it directly by entering its IP address.

Were my hopes that Retro 8 would be able to handle DHCP-configured clients with fluctuating IP addresses overly optimistic, or am I just tripping up a process on the client system by changing my network state too quickly?

I can configure desktop & server clients for static IPs easily enough, but I have to deal with a significant number of laptops that come and go between different networks, owned by users who probably can't properly wrangle different network location profiles. :(

Having exactly the same issue. Since two of the machines on my net are wireless and get taken offsite and back, they get new addresses every day. They they not only won't backup (the clients are invisible) but Refresh doesn't relink them and I have found nothing that works except to delete the client in the list and re-add, then add the "new" client to each of its relevant scripts. Uh, EMC: this is not an automatic system. I wouldn't need your software if I had the time to do manual backups EVERY DAY. I saw on another thread that one can manually restart the Restro engine every day. Thats great, but if I wanted cows I had to milk every day by hand I would have gone into farming. Please advise that this issue being taken seriously. HAd NO SUCH PROBLEM in Retro 6, of course.

Yep, this definitely seems related to all of the other "missing clients posts farther on down. I really hope this is under investigation, as it's a show-stopper for me.

I need one tool that can back up fixed and roaming clients, cross subnets, and do disk-to-disk-to-tape. I had high hopes for 8, and our company even has a site license for it, but I may soon be forced to move my department to competing products.

When I first add my client system as a source when it is configured for its static IP, the server console sees it just fine. Then, I change the client to configure using DHCP so it gets a different IP address, and when I click "Refresh" on the source list, its information and IP update correctly.

However, when I switch the client system back to my static IP, clicking Refresh results in an eventual "client unavailable" message...

Just curious, what if you switched to an entirely different address then either of the first two?

1- Initial manually configured address (works)

2- DHCP server assigned address (on the same subnet?) (works)

3- Back to same address in step #1 (fails)

4- Some address different then steps #1 or #2 (?)

Just curious, what if you switched to an entirely different address then either of the first two?

1- Initial manually configured address (works)

2- DHCP server assigned address (on the same subnet?) (works)

3- Back to same address in step #1 (fails)

4- Some address different then steps #1 or #2 (?)

(note that xx.xxx is constant with each IP)

1- xx.xxx.12.42 -- configure using DHCP w/ manual IP.

(works)

2- xx.xxx.14.232 -- configure using DHCP

(works)

(skipping step 3 since I know that breaks things)

4- xx.xxx.15.59 -- configure using DHCP w/ manual IP, borrowing one that isn't in use.

(Source not available)

5- xx.xxx.14.232 -- configure using DHCP, lease is still good so the server gives me the same IP back (but no guarantee this will happen with transient laptop clients)

(works)

I'm also beginning to wonder if retrospect is getting confused by the third address segment (.12, .14, .15) changing.

The company has an entire class B to itself, and my building appears to be allocated xx.xxx.12-15.x . Subnet mask is 255.255.252.0 , and the router is xx.xxx.12.1 , even for clients in .13.xxx, .14.xxx, or .15.xxx .

Another interesting thing, the client wouldn't automatically add to the sources list (it's set up with public/private keys) if I only restart the Retrospect engine by command-clicking off and on...

Client:

DNS is all server assigned, AppleTalk's enabled and set for automatic config, 802.1X and proxies are both inactive, and Ethernet's set to automatic configuration as well. All pretty much stock.

Server:

Configured manually, IP xx.xxx.12.136

Subnet 255.255.252.0

Router xx.xxx.12.1

DNS manually set for the same addresses given by the DHCP server.

Appletalk/802.1X/Proxies all inactive, Ethernet configured automatically.

I'm contemplating setting it to DHCP w/ Manual IP too just for troubleshooting purposes.

• 2 weeks later...